BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team grabbed a pair of wins against Salem University on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado had a big offensive performance, taking the first contest 12-9 and the second 5-2.
FINAL SCORE: King 12, Salem 9; King 5, Salem 2
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-3; Salem 0-4
- Hunter Barbour led the Tornado offense, going 3-for-6 and drove in four runs on the day.
- Bennett McCann collected five hits and drove in two while Rob Sari and Harrison Barger both collected four hits.
- David Carnicella posted a pair of hits on the day and drove in four.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- The King offense got off to a strong start, scoring five runs in the first inning.
- Junior Renwick posted the first hit of the day, with a line-drive up the middle that scored Barger.
- Austin Meyer followed with a single to center field that scored Renwick and gave King an early 2-0 lead.
- The Tornado offense continued to put runs on the board, after Barbour doubled down the right field line to drive in three runs and give King a 5-0 lead.
- King extended their lead in the third inning, adding another five runs.
- Brayden Cooney opened up the inning with a single down the middle that scored Sari, then Carnicella ripped a double to left-center that drove in three runs.
- Barger added a hit at the end of the third, scoring Carnicella and extending the Tornado lead to 10-0.
- The King defense held the Tigers scoreless for three innings, including the pitching performance by Drew Moore, who pitched three innings and finished with five hits and five strikeouts.
- The Tigers added their first runs in the fourth inning, after Parker Lenivy doubled to left-center, driving in three runs.
- In the fifth inning, Salem cut their deficit to three after scoring four unearned runs.
- In the sixth inning, McCann singled to center field to drive in Sari and another Barbour double drove in one run, giving King a 12-7 lead.
- In the seventh inning, the Tigers drove in two more runs, but Erik Calderon Jr. came in to strike out three batters and grab the save for the Tornado.
Winning Pitcher: Trevor Beards (1-1) 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
Losing Pitcher: Brendan Case (1-1) 1.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Save: Erik Calderon Jr. (2) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- King started game two off just as strong as game two, as the Tornado scored two runs after Sari and Cooney drove in a pair of runs.
- In the second inning, Salem scored a run after a Kasey Buchanan single down the left-field line to drive in Dalton Robison.
- King extended their lead to 3-1 after Connor Andrews crossed home plate on a passed ball.
- Salem tried to work their way back in the contest in the sixth inning, after Austin Whetzel drove in a run on a fielder's choice play.
- The Tornado didn't stop adding more runs, as McCann and Carnicella both drove in one run in the sixth inning.
- Calderon Jr. grabbed his second save of the day after striking out three in the final inning, eventually giving King the 5-2 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Avery Cain (1-1) 4.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO
Losing Pitcher: Dominic Curole (0-2) 5.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 7 SO
Save: Erik Calderon Jr. (3) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Tyler D'Allesandro had four of hits on the day and Lenivy had one hit that drove in three.
- Cruole had two hits on the day.
- The non conference series concludes on Sunday with first pitch scheduled for 12:00 p.m.