MURFREESBORO, N.C. – The King University baseball team opened Conference Carolinas play with a sweep at Chowan University. The Tornado took both ends of the doubleheader on Monday, taking game one 11-1 and game two 8-4.
FINAL SCORE: King 11, Chowan 1; King 8, Chowan 4
LOCATION: Hawkins Field; Murfreesboro, N.C.
RECORDS: King 10-4, 3-0 Conference Carolinas; Chowan 5-9, 0-3 Conference Carolinas
- Bennett McCann posted four hits and scored three runs on the day.
- Junior Renwick and Rob Sari added four hits each with Sari driving in four.
- Trader Flora ripped his first home run of the season in game one.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Sari gave King the early lead when his sacrifice fly scored Harrison Barger, who singled to start the game, in the opening frame.
- King extended their lead to 4-1 with three runs in the second, highlighted by a David Carnicella two-run single that scored Hunter Barbour and Connor Andrews.
- Chowan got on the board in the bottom of the inning, but that was the only blemish for Avery Cain who earned his second win of the season on the mound for the Tornado.
- King broke the game open in the fifth, scoring four runs, before Flora highlighted a three-run sixth with a two-run home run.
- Garrett Gleason then got the final three outs, giving King the win.
Winning Pitcher: Avery Cain (2-1) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Walker Jones (0-2) 4.0 IP, 8 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- Chowan threatened to get on the board with a pair of baserunners in the first inning, but Braden White got out of the jam.
- The game remained scoreless until Renwick drove in Carnicella with a single down the right field line in the third.
- Chowan grabbed their first lead of the series when the scored two runs in the third on run-scoring hits from Trenton Lee and Brock Cross.
- King answered with three runs in the third inning to regain the lead. Barbour evened the score with a run-scoring double before Carnicella dropped down a squeeze bunt that scored Barbour and gave King the lead.
- Barger gave King the 4-2 lead with a double that scored McCann.
- Sari drove in Renwick in the seventh before King put the game out of reach with three runs in the eight.
- Renwick drove in one when he was hit by a pitch and Austin Meyer lifted a sacrifice fly to score another.
- Barger scored on a wild pitch to make it an 8-2 Tornado lead.
- The Hawks scored a pair in the eighth, but that was it as the Tornado took the 8-4 victory.
Winning Pitcher: Braden White (4-0) 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
Losing Pitcher: Shane Rademacher (2-2) 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO
FOR THE FOES
- Cross led the Hawks with three hits on the day.
- Jared Fry had a pair of hits in game two.
- King returns to the diamond on Tuesday at Tusculum University. First pitch from Greeneville, Tenn., is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
- Chowan travels to the University of Mount Olive on Friday and Saturday.