BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University baseball team opened their Conference Carolinas series against Emmanuel College with a win on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado used big innings early to open up an advantage before holding off a late Lion rally to take the 8-5 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 8, Emmanuel 5
LOCATION: King Baseball Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 14-6, 6-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 7-11, 5-5 Conference Carolinas
TIME OF GAME: 3:14
- Hunter Barbour hit his third home run of the season, going 3-for-4 with two runs batted in.
- Jarrett Backus collected two hits and drove in three with a double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Four straight singles, the fourth from Harrison Barger gave King a 1-0 lead in the second inning.
- Backus that ripped a double to left field to give King a 4-0 lead.
- Bennett McCann extended the Tornado lead with a sacrifice fly that scored Rob Sari in the third inning.
- Later in the frame, Barbour ripped a home run to right field giving King a 7-0 lead.
- Avery Cain then struck out the side in the fourth before King tacked on a run in the fourth.
- Junior Renwick came up with a one-out single and later scored on a Sari single to left center, extending the King lead to 8-0.
- The Emmanuel offense got to the Tornado pitching staff in the eighth inning, scoring five runs.
- A two-run single from Justin Henle was followed by a two-run home run from Kyle Gaura.
- Jorge Villalabos later doubled to bring home another run for the Lions.
- Nic Blankenship then entered to get the final out of the inning and keep King ahead 8-5.
- Blankenship then worked around a pair of two-out runners in the ninth, striking out Gaura to earn his second save of the season and give King the 8-5 win.
FOR THE FOES
- Gaura hit the two-run home run while Henle drove in two as well.
- Henle led Emmanuel with two hits.
- The Conference Carolinas series concludes with a doubleheader on Sunday starting at 12:00 p.m.