WISE, Va. – The King University baseball team dropped a see-saw affair on Wednesday afternoon at UVa-Wise. Each time one team took the lead, the other would come back and even the score or regain the advantage. King evened the score with a run in the eight, but the Cavaliers scored a run in the ninth to take the game 10-9.
FINAL SCORE: UVa-Wise 10, King 9
LOCATION: Burchell Stallard Field; Wise, Va.
RECORDS: King 15-9; UVa-Wise 11-10
TIME OF GAME: 2:11
- Rob Sari went 3-for-5 with two doubles, two runs batted in and two runs scored.
- Marquis Orozco scored two runs going 3-for-5 with two runs batted in and two doubles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cavaliers got on the board with a two-run home run from Dawson Cagle in the first inning.
- Orozco and Simon Desnoyer answered for the tornado with a single that scored one and a bases-loaded hit by pitch to even the score.
- King then had a run cut down at the plate and the Tornado left the bases loaded in the frame.
- Ethan Fletcher gave the lead back to UVa-Wise at 3-2 with a home run in the bottom of the inning.
- King regained a 4-3 lead in third with a pair of runs, the second on a double from Orozco that scored Sari.
- The Tornado lead grew to 6-3 in the fourth on a Sari two-run double.
- In the bottom of the inning, the Cavaliers scored a pair of runs, the second on a Tornado miscue to pull within 6-5.
- Bennett McCann drove in Orozco with a double in the fifth, extending the King lead to 7-5.
- However, UVa-Wise came back with three runs in the bottom of the inning to take an 8-7 lead. The frame was highlighted by a Tyler Campbell two-run home run.
- An Austin Meyer single scored Desnoyer in the seventh and evened the score, but the Cavaliers regained a 9-8 lead with a run in the bottom half.
- King answered again in the eighth as Orozco doubled and scored on a Cavalier miscue to even the score at 9-9.
- Backus ripped a leadoff double in the ninth for the Tornado, but he was left on third.
- In the bottom of the inning, the Cavaliers got a one-out walk followed by a single before a Bret Roberts double drove in a run and gave UVa-Wise the 10-9 lead.
FOR THE FOES
- Cagle, Campbell and Fletcher all hit home runs for the Cavaliers.
- Fletcher led the way, going 4-for-4 and drove in four runs.
Winning Pitcher: Ethan Fletcher (1-0) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO
Losing Pitcher: Nic Blankenship (1-2) 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
- King travels to Southern Wesleyan University for a Conference Carolinas series starting at 4:00 p.m. on Friday. The series concludes with a doubleheader on Saturday starting at 12:00 p.m.
- UVa-Wise travels to Carson-Newman University on Friday and Saturday.