BRISTOL, Tenn. – The Tornado Overwatch team had a busy weekend. A close ECAC matchup Friday against Syracuse and an Overwatch Collegiate Start League Tournament gave King a total of 6 matches against teams all across the country.
The "C Star" League tournament is a weekly occurrence and any collegiate team may compete. This particular weekly showcased 64 teams in a single elimination tournament, with top prize worth $600. King picked up four straight wins putting them in the Final Four, but the University of Minnesota Twin Cities knocks off the Tornado in two to make the finals.
C STAR - ROUND 1
- King 2, Lamar University 0
C STAR - ROUND 2
- King 2, Dakota State University (C) 0
C STAR - ROUND 3
- King 2, Milwaukee School of Engineering 0
C STAR - ROUND 4
- King 2, Dakota State University (B) 1
C STAR - ROUND 5
- King 0, Minnesota Twin Cities 2
Final stats for the Tornado; 4-1 on the day. Congratulations to Minnesota TC and Winthrop University for making the finals and the chance at $600.
FINAL SCORE: King 0, Syracuse 3
MAPS PLAYED: Nepal (Control), Route 66 (Escort), King's Row (Assault/Escort)
NEPAL (CONTROL) ROUND 1
- Syracuse takes the point first, winning the next two fights and maintaining posture for 99%.
- King manages an incredible Sigma ultimate, allowing OTK to eliminate several and King to take control of the point.
- But Syracuse would not be denied as they win the next fight to take round one.
NEPAL (CONTROL), ROUND 2
- Syracuse again takes point first, but the Tornado quickly retaliates evening the control to 34% all.
- The Tornado would be pushed back though and Syracuse locked down the control point to win the first match.
- King 0, Syracuse 1
ROUTE 66 (ESCORT)
- Syracuse began on offense, pushing the payload through the first two points with 4 minutes remaining.
- After a few adjustments from the Tornado, they manage to hold Syracuse for over 2 minutes without advancement.
- But the Orange would manage the final push, completing with under 2 minutes remaining.
- King managed to push to the final phase of the payload, but a Brick 10 player streak, an OTK 6 player streak, and SenorLol 5 player streak wouldn't be enough to get the Tornado home.
- Shout out to Yokie32, who managed almost 50% of King's total damage in this round.
- King 0, Syracuse 2
KING'S ROW (ASSAULT/ESCORT)
- King began on the defense, holding Syracuse from taking the point for over two minutes
- Syracuse takes the point and begins to push the payload
- The Tornado then commences to go on a tear. 10 player streak from Yokie, Brick, OTK and SenorLol allow King to hold Syracuse dead in their tracks for over three minutes.
- But the Orange would again find a way to move the payload, gaining precious time for the final section.
- The final fight went down to the wire. Both teams trading ultimates, breaking shields and building damage.
- But Syracuse would find their way on top, pushing to the goal with only 14 seconds remaining.
- Shout out to SenorLol and CroutonMaster. They had 87% elimination percentage and over 56K damage blocked, respectively.
- Score: King 0, Syracuse 3
KING'S ECAC FUTURE
After Friday's loss to Syracuse, King University moves to 4-1 in ECAC play. After the ECAC conference dust settled, we see King, Central Methodist and Syracuse in a three way tie to advance to the playoffs. Stay tuned fans as The King Tornado may get redemption soon!