CENTRAL, S.C. – The King University men's basketball team used a balance attack in the first half to gain control of the contest at Southern Wesleyan University. The Tornado extended the lead in the second half, taking the Conference Carolinas tilt 89-61.
FINAL SCORE: King 89, Southern Wesleyan 61
LOCATION: Historic Tysinger Gymnasium; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 9-5, 4-0 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 1-12, 0-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado were balanced in the opening half, having seven players score at least three points, led by Je'Don Young's eight points.
- King opened the game on a 14-2 run, including 11 consecutive points to gain separation.
- Six Tornado scored on the spurt that was capped by three points from Dontae Campbell.
- Mike Salomon gave King their largest lead of the first half at 22-6 when he made a jump shot with 11 minutes remaining in the stanza.
- King held that 16 point lead four more times throughout the first half, including at the break following a Campbell layup that gave the Tornado a 41-25 advantage going to the locker room.
- The Tornado opened the second half with nine straight points, coming on back-to-back triples from Young and Salomon and an old fashioned three-point play from Jonathan King.
- King put the game out of reach with an 11-1 run, including nine straight points that gave the Tornado a 70-41 advantage midway through the half. Jordan Floyd capped the spurt with a triple.
- Tristan Upchurch gave King their largest lead of the game, 31 points, with a triple as the Tornado took the contest 89-61.
- Young led four Tornado in double figures with 19 points.
- Floyd followed with 15 points while Salomon added 10 points.
- Mack Owens posted a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds.
- Shon'Dre Dukes scored nine points to go along with a game-high 15 rebounds.
- Timothy Taylor handed out a game-high nine assists and added six points.
FOR THE FOES
- Jalen Lowery led the way for Southern Wesleyan with 12 points.
- Gavin Sears added 10 points and six rebounds.
- The Warriors had four scores added seven points each.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Dukes set a career-high with 15 rebounds. He matched his career-best with 11 boards in the first half.
- Dukes was also one point away from his first career double-double.
- Owens posted his ninth double-double of the season and fifth in the last six games.
- King stays on the road to face the University of Mount Olive at 7:30 p.m. on Friday night. The Tornado then take on Barton College at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday in Wilson, N.C.
- King enters the weekend 4-0 in Conference Carolinas play while both Mount Olive and Barton are 3-0 in league play.
- Southern Wesleyan hosts Limestone College on Friday night.