BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball climbed the Conference Carolinas standings with a pair of victories on their home court this weekend. The Tornado capped the weekend with a resounding 79-54 win over league-leading University of Mount Olive on Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: King 79, Mount Olive 54
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-8, 8-3 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 15-7, 11-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was tight and low scoring with two ties and eight lead changes.
- King held the advantage for the majority of the contest, using a 5-0 spurt to break a 9-9 tie as Kalen Clifton came up with a steal and found Je'Don Young for a fastbreak layup.
- Mount Olive grabbed a 25-24 lead in the final three minutes of the first half with a three-point play, but King closed the half on a run.
- Jordan Floyd made a fastbreak layup to give the lead back to the Tornado and followed with a triple and jump shot to give King a 31-27 lead at the break.
- King tried to put the game out of reach early in the second half, scoring the first eight points of the final stanza.
- Young made a pair of layups before Owens drilled a triple and later a free throw to give King a 39-27 lead.
- The Tornado gradually extended their lead throughout the half as Floyd led the charge with 17 points in the half on 11-for-13 shooting from the free throw line.
- King's largest lead of the game came in the final minute at 79-51 as the Tornado took the contest 79-54.
- Floyd led the Tornado with 24 points and Young followed with 20 points and four rebounds.
- Owens followed with 16 points and nine rebounds while Mike Saomon chipped in with 10 points and seven rebounds.
- Shon'Dre Dukes grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Dominique Tham led Mount Olive with 15 points and eight rebounds.
- Cameron Robinson followed with eight points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd posted his ninth 20-point game of the season, and his third straight.
- Young has also scored at least 20 points in the last three games and has five 20-point contests on the season.
- King is in action again when they travel to Emmanuel College on Saturday. Tipoff from Franklin Springs, Ga., is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive hosts North Greenville University on Saturday.