TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University men's basketball team traveled to take on North Greenville in a Conference Carolinas matchup Tuesday night. The Tornado took great care of the ball as they only turned the ball over six times the entire night. King also shot 54.4 percent from the field and 46.9 percent from the three point line. Hot shooting and limited turnovers helped King defeat North Greenville 91-68.
FINAL SCORE: King 91, North Greenville 68
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 14-9, 9-4 Conference Carolinas; North Greenville 9-13, 5-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King jumped out to an early 10-3 lead following a Je'Don Young basket with 17:33 remaining in the first half.
- However, the Tornado went on nearly a six minute scoring drought as they did not score again until the 11:56 mark when Young nailed a three point basket to give the Tornado a 13-8 lead over the Crusaders.
- With 9:23 remaining in the first half, Young again drilled a shot from deep to give King a 10 point lead.
- After having their lead cut to five points, Jordan Floyd dumped in a three point basket off an assist from Dontae Campbell with 7:14 remaining in the half to extend King's lead to 26-18.
- Going back and forth for the remainder of the half, neither team could take a commanding lead until Floyd hit a three point basket with five seconds remaining in the half to push the Tornado lead back to double digits.
- At the half, Floyd led the Tornado with 17 points while Young recorded 10 first half points.
- As the second half got underway, North Greenville cut the King lead back to single digits. However, a Mike Salomon three point bucket pushed the Tornado lead back to double digits as King led 54-42 with 17:13 remaining in the game.
- A Floyd two point bucket followed by a Floyd three point basket on back-to-back possessions lifted the Tornado to their largest lead of the contest at 64-48 with 14:13 left.
- The Tornado used a 10-4 run midway through the second half to take an 80-60 lead with 9:57 remaining. During the run, Kalen Clifton threw down a thunderous dunk.
- A Salomon fast break dunk with 6:42 remaining in the game extended King's lead to 85-63.
- The Tornado would go on to close out the Crusaders 91-68 to take the season series 2-0.
- Floyd led King with 25 points, six assists, and four rebounds.
- Young recorded 18 points while Clifton chipped in 14 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Jalon Cokley led the way for the Crusaders with 21 points and four rebounds.
- DJ Brooks chipped in 13 points for North Greenville.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King recorded six turnovers on the night. This mark is the lowest amount the Tornado have recorded this season.
- Floyd has scored at least 20 points in each of the last five games.
- King hosts Southern Wesleyan Saturday afternoon in a Conference Carolinas matchup that will tip off at 4:00 pm.
- North Greenville hosts Columbia International University Thursday night.