BRISTOL, Tenn. – On senior day, the King University men's basketball seniors led the Tornado to a 104-80 victory over Southern Wesleyan University. Mack Owens eclipsed the 1,000-career point mark and Shon'Dre Dukes posted his first double-double of the season.
FINAL SCORE: King 104, Southern Wesleyan 80
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 15-9, 10-4 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 2-22, 1-14 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPNED
- The pace went back-and-forth in the opening 20 minutes as both teams shot 50.0 percent or better.
- Southern Wesleyan grabbed the lead early and stretched their lead to 22-12 before the Tornado started to chip away at the deficit.
- A 7-0 run capped by a five points from Mike Salomon, pulled King within 22-19.
- Owens evened the tally at 25 with an old fashioned three-point play, in the middle of an 8-0 run the put King ahead 30-25.
- The score was tied for the sixth time at 39, and the Warriors took a 42-41 lead before the Tornado closed the half on a 7-2 run.
- Jordan Floyd capped the first half scoring with a three-point play, giving him 14 points in the opening half and putting the Tornado ahead 48-44 at the break.
- It didn't take Owens long to reach 1,000 points in the second half, scoring a layup in the opening minute to give him the feat.
- Dontae Campbell followed with a triple and Jonathan King later tipped in an offensive rebound, giving King a 55-47 lead.
- Dukes stretched the King lead to double digits for the first time with an offensive rebound and dunk, putting King ahead 60-50.
- That dunk was in the middle of an 11-0 run that gave King separation as the Tornado lead grew to as many as 30 points.
- King broke 100 points for the second time this season, taking the contest 104-80.
- Floyd led five King scorers in double figures with 27 points and added four assists.
- Owens followed with 17 points and nine rebounds.
- Campbell and Salomon each scored 16 points with Salomon grabbing nine rebounds and Campbell with six boards.
- Dukes was the final Tornado in double figures with 12 points to go along with 14 rebounds for the double-doubles.
- Je'Don Young handed out seven assists to lead the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Jeremy Wert led the way for Southern Wesleyan with 21 points and six rebounds.
- Justice McCullough followed with 15 points and 11 rebounds for the double-double.
- Jacob Smith chipped in with 11 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Owens reached 1,000 points in his career, and now has 1,006 career points.
- Dukes posted a career-high with 12 points, eclipsing his previous best of 10 set earlier this season against Salem University. He also came within one of his career-high of 15 rebounds.
- King had five scorers in double figures for the fifth time this season and first since January 23 at Erskine College.
- Floyd has scored at least 20 points in a game 12 times this season, including the last six games.
- King hosts Limestone College on Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Southern Wesleyan hosts Mars Hill University on Monday night.