FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University men's basketball team posted their second win of the opening weekend on Saturday, defeating Columbus State 80-76. The Tornado had to hold a late run from the Cougars but were led by Kalen Clifton's 23 points.
FINAL SCORE: King 80, Columbus State 76
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-0; Columbus State 1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado got off to a hot start, opening up a 5-0 lead following a triple from Tyre Moore Jr.
- Columbus State answered with six straight points to gain the lead.
- However, King regained a five point lead following an Antonio Freeman bucket and Clifton triple.
- King stretched their lead to seven on two occasions, following layups from Clifton and Freeman.
- The Cougars chipped away at their deficit and pulled within 22-21 with four minutes remaining until halftime.
- King then closed the half on a run that was jumpstarted by a pair of Freeman free throws.
- Clifton capped the 10-1 spurt with a triple, giving the Tornado a 32-22 lead in the final minute.
- Columbus State scored the final point of the half, making the score 32-23 in favor of the Tornado.
- King gained their largest lead of the game at 46-32 following back-to-back trifectas from Timothy Taylor and Clifton.
- The Tornado couldn't pull away from Columbus State as the Cougars had an answer every time in the second stanza.
- In the final five minutes, the Cougars put together a 7-0 run, pulling them within 67-64 before King scored four straight points to stretch their lead to 71-64.
- The Tornado then cruised to the 80-76 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Clifton led the Tornado with 23 points, five rebounds and five assists off the bench.
- Freeman followed with 16 points and eight rebounds.
- Mike Salomon posted his first double-double of the season with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
- Isaiah Curry chipped in with 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Bryant Givens led Columbus State with 20 points while Jalen Thomas followed with 16.
- Landrius Horton chipped in with 14 points and six rebounds.
- King is in action on Saturday when the host Carson-Newman University at 4:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Columbus State travels to take on Fort Valley State University on Monday.