BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball team dropped a tight nonconference tilt with regional rival Carson-Newman University on Saturday afternoon in the Student Center Complex. The contest featured 12 ties and 12 lead changes as the Eagles edged King 87-86, handing the Tornado their first defeat of the year.
FINAL SCORE: Carson-Newman 87, King 86
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-1; Carson-Newman 4-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams went back-and-forth the entire contest as the Tornado turned a 9-7 deficit into a 14-9 advantage with a quick 7-0 spurt. Timothy Taylor made a triple around a pair of Kalen Clifton buckets.
- King earned their largest lead of the day at 19-11 following a basket from Isaiah Curry and a jump shot from Clifton six minutes into the contest.
- Carson-Newman used a 7-2 run to get back within three of the Tornado, and King held their lead there for the remainder of the opening half.
- The game was even at 28 before King scored six straight points, but the Eagles answered back with six straight.
- King again stretched their lead back to eight at 46-38 following an Antonio Freeman layup.
- However, the Eagles closed the half on a 6-0 run, cutting the King lead to 46-44 at the break.
- Carson-Newman came out and grabbed the lead early in the second half, but Clifton answered with a triple and Chad Dreswick stretched the King lead back to three with a basket.
- The Eagles used a 9-0 to grab their largest lead of the day at 59-53 with 12 minutes remaining.
- King worked their way back as Taylor drilled back-to-back trifectas to even the score at 61.
- The Eagles held the advantage over the final 10 minutes, extending the lead to five before Clifton drilled a triple and James Brown converted an old fashioned three-point play, giving King a 77-75 lead with four minutes remaining.
- The teams traded baskets down the stretch, and the Eagles held an 87-84 lead with five seconds remaining.
- Carson-Newman fouled a King three-point shooter. He made the first two, but missed the third with 0.5 seconds remaining, giving the Eagles the 87-86 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Clifton led King with 28 points, shooting 11-for-17 from the floor.
- Freeman followed with 20 points and seven rebounds while Taylor chipped in with 16 points, seven rebounds and seven assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Grant Teichmann led Carson-Newman with 26 points. He was followed by Chris Clayton's 13, Mason Bates' 12 and Malik Abraham's 11 points.
- Cameron Holmes grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Clifton matched his career-high of 28 points. He last scored 28 points at UNC Pembroke on January 28, 2017 while at Armstrong State University.
- Freeman set a career-high with 20 points and Taylor came within two of his career-best.
- King returns to action on Monday, November 26 when they travel to Lee University. Tipoff from Cleveland, Tenn., is scheduled for 8:00 p.m.
- Carson-Newman hosts Tennessee Wesleyan University on Wednesday evening.