CLEVELAND, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball team returned to the court on Monday at Lee University. The Tornado used a run to close the first half and open the second half to take a lead and ultimately top the Flames 72-58.
FINAL SCORE: King 72, Lee 58
LOCATION: Paul Dana Walker Arena; Cleveland, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 3-1; Lee 1-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The contest went back-and-forth in the early going until Antonio Freeman tried to start a King run with a free throw and Tyre Moore Jr. followed with a layup.
- Freeman the made another bucket, stretching the Tornado lead to 15-11.
- Moore Jr. later made a triple and Freeman followed with a three-point play, giving King a 21-13 lead midway through the opening half.
- The King lead grew to 11 following a Kalen Clifton triple with five minutes remaining in the opening half.
- However, the Flames went on a 9-2 run, cutting their deficit to 30-26 before the Tornado closed the final two minutes of the half on run.
- Leading 32-28, King scored the final seven points of the half.
- Mike Salomon drilled a trifecta before Moore Jr. and Clifton gave King a 39-28 lead at the break at the free throw line.
- Clifton opened the second half with five straight points, giving King their largest lead of the game a 44-28 two minutes into the second half.
- King had to withstand one more Flame run as Lee scored 10 straight points to cut their deficit to 44-38 with 13 minutes remaining.
- Moore Jr. and Timothy Taylor responded with consecutive baskets, stretching the Tornado advantage back to double figures.
- King held the lead by at least seven points the rest of the way as the Tornado took the win 72-58.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Clifton led four King scorers in double figures with 15 points to go along with six rebounds.
- Moore Jr. and James Brown chipped in with 11 points each. Moore Jr. also grabbed five rebounds.
- Freeman chipped in with 10 points and seven rebounds while Salomon added seven points and eight rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Michael McGuirk led Lee with 18 points while Ryan Montgomery posted 17 points and 12 rebounds.
- Colton Blevens chipped in with 10 points and six rebounds.
- King hosts Virginia State University at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday night in the Student Center Complex.
- Lee travels to Auburn Montgomery on Thursday night.