DUE WEST, S.C. – Conference games are usually tough, especially on the road, and the King University men's basketball team escaped Due West, S.C. with a victory on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado held a slim halftime lead, but needed a triple in the final minute to send the game at Erskine College into overtime. King then scored the game's final 10 points, taking the contest 69-63.
FINAL SCORE: King 69, Erskine 63 (F/OT)
LOCATION: Belk Arena; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 5-2, 1-1 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 2-3, 0-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado controlled play the majority of the first half, starting with an 11-4 run that was ignited by a James Brown layup.
- Kalen Clifton followed with a back-to-back triples before Brown connected from long range to give King a 13-7 advantage.
- The lead grew to 16-9 following another Brown trifecta, but the Flying Fleet came back to cut their deficit to three midway through the opening stanza.
- Erskine came back to even the score at 20 with four minutes remaining, but Brown made a free throw and then a three-point basket, putting the Tornado back ahead.
- The Flying Fleet used a 5-0 run, capped by a Tyler Brevard three-point basket to take the lead, but Tyre Moore Jr. answered with a triple of his own, giving the lead back to King.
- Erskine scored the final point of the first half, but King led 27-26 at the break.
- Erskine used a 6-0 run early in the second half to take a 36-34 lead before the teams went back-and-forth.
- The Flying Fleet extended their lead to 50-43 before Mike Salomon scored five straight points, pulling King back within two.
- Brown later drilled a triple, evening the tally at 55 with 3:26 remaining.
- However, Erskine regained the lead and held a 59-56 lead in the final minute.
- Out of a timeout, Moore Jr. drilled a triple with 34 seconds remaining to even the score.
- King then played solid defense on the other end of the floor, sending the game to overtime.
- Erskine scored the first four points of the extra session, all coming in the first minute before the Tornado defense dug in again.
- Moore Jr. gave King the lead with a three-point basket with two minutes remaining. King then made three free throws before Clifton iced the 69-63 win with a dunk in the final seconds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brown led King with 20 points and added five rebounds.
- Clifton followed with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- Salomon followed with 17 points and eight rebounds.
- Moore Jr. chipped in with nine points and added five rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Austin Venable led Erskine with 21 points while Tyler Brevard followed with 13 points.
- Jaywaun Washington snared 14 rebounds and added eight points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 20 points for Brown marks a career-high, topping the 13 he scored against Virginia State University.
- Clifton's double-double was the first of his career.
- King returns to action on Tuesday when they travel to Shorter University. Tipoff from Rome, Ga., is scheduled for 8:00 p.m.
- Erskine travels to Mars Hill University on Wednesday.