MORROW, Ga. – In a game where both teams held a double-digit lead, the King University men's basketball team fought their way back at Clayton State University on Friday night. The Tornado closed the game on a 14-4 run, capped by a pair of James Brown free throws with 4.7 seconds remaining to take the 63-62 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 63, Clayton State 62
LOCATION: The Loch; Morrow, Ga.
RECORDS: King 7-2; Clayton State 3-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled from the floor in the opening half, but Tyre Moore Jr. gave King a 5-2 lead following a three-point play five minutes into the contest.
- The Tornado gradually extended their lead to 13-6 following a Justin Frazier triple.
- Mike Salomon gave King their largest lead of the half a 22-12 with a triple with six minutes remaining in the opening stanza.
- However, the Lakers went on a run to close the half, scoring eight straight points to cut their deficit to only two.
- Brown ended that spurt with an offensive rebound and layup for the Tornado.
- The Lakers scored the final six points of the half, including a buzzer-beating triple to take a 30-26 lead at the break.
- King scored the first four points of the second half, evening the score at 30 on a Salomon steal and layup.
- However, the Lakers responded with a 13-1, opening up a 43-31 lead five minutes into the half.
- The King deficit grew to as many as 13 at 46-33 before the Tornado started to chip away.
- Salomon started a 9-0 run that was capped by a pair of Isaiah Curry free throws with a layup.
- Nevertheless, Clayton State bounced back and extended their lead back to 58-46 with eight minutes remaining, but the Tornado had one last run in them.
- Salomon and Frazier drilled a pair of triples to cape an 8-0 run and pull King within 58-57 with five minutes remaining.
- Salomon later gave King a 61-60 lead with 49 seconds remaining when he made a pair of free throws.
- The Lakers countered with a bucket to regain the lead, but King came right back.
- Brown grabbed an offensive rebound and was fouled with 4.7 seconds remaining.
- He then made two free throws to give King the lead and ultimately the 63-62 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado defense may have turned in their best performance of the season, forcing a season-high 24 turnovers. King scored 23 points on those turnovers.
- King also dominated the glass, outrebounding Clayton State 45-24 with 20 offensive rebounds.
- Salomon led King with 19 points and added eight rebounds.
- Brown, Frazier, and Moore followed with eight points each.
FOR THE FOES
- Jaylen Taylor led Clayton State with 20 points and nine rebounds.
- Aubrey McRae followed with 12 points and six rebounds.
- King returns home to face 18th-ranked West Liberty University. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Clayton State hosts 11th-ranked USC Aiken on Monday night.