EVANSVILLE, Ind. – Following a break, the King University men's basketball team turned in their best shooting performance of the season. The Tornado took an 86-80 victory at the University of Southern Indiana behind a career-high performance from Mike Salomon.
FINAL SCORE: King 86, Southern Indiana 80
LOCATION: Physical Activities Center; Evansville, Ind.
RECORDS: King 8-3; Southern Indiana 7-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salomon drilled a pair of triples around a James Brown trifecta that broke an 8-8 tie and gave King a 17-8 advantage in the opening six minutes.
- However, the Screaming Eagles answered with an 11-2 run to even the score at 21.
- The run finally ended at 19-2 on a Kalen Clifton bucket that pulled King within 27-23.
- Southern Indiana continued to hold the lead as the Tornado deficit grew to 42-34 before back-to-back triples from Clifton and Salomon pulled King within two.
- A pair of Salomon free throws evened the score at 42 and Tyre Moore Jr. gave King a 45-44 lead at halftime when he connected from long range with 30 seconds remaining.
- The Screaming Eagles cut their deficit to 47-46 to open the second half, but King responded with an 8-2 run.
- James Brown started the spurt and Isaiah Curry capped the run with a layup.
- Clifton drilled a three-point basket, stretching the King lead back to double digits at 60-50.
- King gained their largest lead of the game at 65-52 following another Clifton triple with 13 minutes remaining.
- The Tornado seemed to have an answer for the Screaming Eagles for the remainder of the half, holding a sizable advantage until the final minutes.
- Southern Indiana cut their deficit to four twice, but Clifton answered each time, the first with a trifecta and the second with a jump shot.
- King then sealed the 86-80 victory at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King posted their best shooting performance of the season, shooting 56.9 percent, including a 55.6 mark from long range.
- Salomon led four scorers in double figures with 24 points on 6-for-11 shooting from three-point range.
- Clifton followed with 17 points and Brown added 16 points.
- Justin Frazier chipped in with 11 points and six assists.
FOR THE FOES
- The Screaming Eagles shot 80.0 percent from the free throw line, going 28-for-35.
- Emmanuel Little led Southern Indiana with 24 points and seven rebounds.
- Alex Stein followed with 20 points and five assists while Nate Hansen scored 12 points.
- Kobe Caldwell chipped in with 10 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 24 points for Salomon marks a career-high. He previously scored 21 points twice, the last coming on February 21, 2018 against Emmanuel College.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on January 2 at Limestone College. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Southern Indiana takes on Ohio Valley University on Sunday afternoon.