GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University men's basketball team fell to a hot-shooting Limestone College team on Wednesday night. The Saints knocked down 17 triples in their 104-87 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Limestone 104, King 87
LOCATION: Timken Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 8-4, 1-2 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 7-6, 2-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a hot start, scoring the first nine points capped by a Kalen Clifton triple.
- Clifton later hit another triple to give King a 19-7 lead, but then the Saints went on a run.
- Limestone scored 17 straight points to gain a 24-19 lead midway through the opening stanza.
- The Saints gained their largest lead at 35-29 before Clifton struck from long range and made a layup to pull King back within in one.
- The teams then traded baskets until Clifton made a jump shot that cut the Tornado deficit to 46-42 at the half.
- Limestone shot 9-for-20 from three-point range in the first half while King shot 4-for-17.
- The Saint triples continued to fall in the second half as they opened the stanza on a 14-1 run to take a 60-43 lead four minutes in.
- Mike Salomon ended the spurt when he drilled a triple for the Tornado.
- A Justin Frazier three-point basketball pulled King within 62-52, but Limestone answered with an 11-3, stretching their lead back to 16 points.
- King couldn't get any closer the rest of the way as the Saints took the contest 104-87.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Clifton led King with 25 points and added six rebounds.
- Tyre Moore Jr. followed with 16 points and James Brown chipped in with 13 points.
- The Tornado shot 47.0 percent from the floor, including a 38.7 mark from long range.
FOR THE FOES
- Limestone shot 52.9 percent from the floor and 47.2 percent from long range. The Saints knocked down 17 triples.
- Jaquan Simms led six Limestone scorers in double figures with 22 points.
- T.J. Shepard and Kenny Hairston both scored 17 points and Hairston handed out eight assists.
- Quez Clayton scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 16 points from Moore mark a career-high.
- King travels to Virginia State University on Saturday. Tipoff from Ettrick, Va., is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. Earlier this season, the Tornado topped Virginia State 86-85 in the Student Center Complex.
- Limestone travels to Emmanuel College on Saturday.