BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball was at home again on Saturday as they faced conference foe, the University of Mount Olive. On what was a defensively dominant performance by both teams, King was able to come out on top 60-59 over the Trojans.
FINAL SCORE: King 60, Mount Olive 59
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-6, 2-3 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 6-10, 5-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- For the first five minutes of the first half, defense was showing out for both teams as the score was locked at 2-0 with King taking the lead on a Jordan Young lay-up.
- The Trojans would take a 5-2 lead early on but King would then go on a 12-2 run capped off by a Tyre Moore Jr. triple giving King a 14-7 lead and cause the Trojans to call a timeout.
- Mount Olive would then go on a 13-1 run of their own to given them a five-point lead before James Brown stopped the bleeding a pull up jump shot to cut the lead down to 20-17.
- King and Mount Olive would go back and forth in the final minutes with King being able to tie the game at 26 before Halftime on free throws from Justin Frazier.
- The Tornado were able to regain the lead on a Brown layup to start the second half but Mount Olive would be quick to answer with back to back buckets in the paint to give them a three-point advantage at 31-28.
- Mike Salomon would answer with a three of his own to knot the game back up at 31.
- Mount Olive regained momentum by scoring back to back baskets again and reach their largest lead of the night at 6 with the score being 39-33
- The Tornado cut the Trojan lead down to two and eventually took a four-point lead coming off back to back triples from Moore and Salomon giving King the 46-42 lead.
- King tried to push away as they took a seven-point lead with under two minutes remaining but the Trojans continued to fight back and had a good look at the end of the game to win but a missed three-point shot from Jamaal Martin gave King the win with a score of 60-59.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Moore scores a career-high 19 points and has four rebounds.
- Young has a double-double scoring a career-high 11 points accompanied with a career-high 11 rebounds
FOR THE FOES
- Martin scores 21 points shooting 5-for-9 from beyond the arc
- Michael Brown was also in double figures scoring 12 points.
- King travels to Lees McRae on Wednesday tip-off scheduled for 7:30 pm.
- Mount Olive hosts Barton College.