BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball earned a Conference Carolinas win on Saturday afternoon in the Student Center Complex as they defeated Southern Wesleyan University. The Tornado gained a sizable advantage in the first half and didn't look back in the second half, taking the contest 88-60 behind 25 points from James Brown.
FINAL SCORE: King 88, Southern Wesleyan 60
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-10, 4-7 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 2-21, 1-12 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern Wesleyan held the advantage early, stretching their lead to 10-6 four minutes in.
- King responded with six straight points, started by a Mike Salomon layup.
- The Warriors countered with seven straight to take a 17-12 lead midway through the first stanza.
- Tyre Moore Jr. then started a 15-0 King spurt with a three-point basket.
- After Desmond Davis evened the score, James Brown drilled a triple that gave King the lead.
- The Tornado advantage grew to 27-17 following a Jordan Young basket.
- King held their lead there for the remainder of the half before Brown beat the halftime buzzer with a triple, giving the Tornad0 a 46-30 at the break.
- King opened the second half with a 10-2 run, started by a Brown triple and capped by a Young basket.
- The Tornado earned their largest lead of the game at 69-39 following a 10-1 run that was capped by a Justin Frazier three-point basket.
- From there, King cruised to the 88-60 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King shot 55.0 percent from the floor while holding Southern Wesleyan to a 38.9 field goal percentage.
- Brown led King with 25 points on 8-for-13 shooting from the floor and 5-for-9 from long range.
- Salomon followed with 15 points and eight rebounds.
- JaMarquis Johnson and Young followed with nine points each.
FOR THE FOES
- Jalen Lowery led Southern Wesleyan with 23 points, five rebounds and six assists.
- Diego Poore followed with 11 points and Jacob Smith chipped in with 10 points.
- King returns to the court in the Student Center Complex on Wednesday when they host Emmanuel College at 7:30 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to Barton College on Saturday.