BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball jumped ahead of Limestone College 12-0 in the early going as they topped the Saints 82-69 on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado had to withstand a run from the Saints late in the first half, but King pulled away in the second half behind a double-double from James Brown.
FINAL SCORE: King 82, Limestone 69
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 12-11, 5-8 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 13-11, 7-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brown scored the first six points for the Tornado and assisted on Jordan Young's basket that put King up 8-0.
- Young later made it 12-0 with a layup before the Saints got on the board with a three-point basket.
- Limestone chipped away at their deficit, scoring seven straight points, cutting their deficit from 15 points to 22-14.
- The Saints closed the first half on an 8-2 run, but King led 32-29 at the break.
- Limestone cut the King lead to two early in the half, but Tyre Moore Jr. responded with a triple and Brown made a layup to stretch the lead back to 37-30.
- King held their lead there until the Saints came back to get within 57-55, but JaMarquis Johnson had the answer from long range this time.
- A Brown dunk capped a 6-0 spurt that extended the King lead back to 68-58 with five minutes remaining.
- The Tornado held their lead there the rest of the way, taking the contest 82-69.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Brown led King with 26 points and 13 rebounds.
- Mike Salomon and Moore followed with 10 points each.
- Justin Frazier chipped in with nine points and eight assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Malik Gaffney led Limestone with 19 points while Jaquan Simms followed with 15 points and nine rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Brown posts his first career double-double with a career-high 13 rebounds.
- King hosts rival Lees-McRae College on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Limestone hosts Emmanuel College on Saturday.