BRISTOL, Tenn. – As most rivalry contests are, the men's basketball game between King University and Lees-McRae College was a see-saw affair. The Tornado controlled the first half while the Bobcats led for the majority of the second half before a late King surge led to a 78-70 Tornado victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 78, Lees-McRae 70
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 13-11, 6-8 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 10-15, 6-9 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Justin Frazier started off the first half for the Tornado with a three-point basket and took some contact. He finished the four-point play at the line to put King ahead.
- Lees-McRae answered scoring five straight points of their own to take the lead 5-4.
- King and Lees-McRae would exchange baskets but a Tyre Moore Jr. three-point shot extended the Tornado lead to 22-17 with 12 minutes remaining.
- Frazier knocked down another shortly thereafter to give King their largest lead of the first half at 28-21.
- The Bobcats, however, went on a 10-3 run, evening the score at 32 with three minutes remaining until halftime.
- The teams exchanged the lead and baskets before the half as the Bobcats held a 36-35 lead at the break.
- Lees-McRae held the advantage for the majority of the second stanza, but there were four ties and three lead changes down the stretch.
- The Tornado deficit grew to as many as 10 at 59-49 midway through the second period.
- Mike Salomon made a jump shot in the paint and converted the three-point play to ignite an 8-0 Tornado run.
- Salomon capped the run, cutting the King deficit to 62-60 with a triple.
- Following four Bobcat points, King scored six straight as Frazier evened the score at 66 with a fastbreak layup.
- The score was again even at 68 following a pair of JaMarquis Johnson free throws.
- Frazier followed with another fastbreak layup and Johnson put the Tornado ahead 72-68 with a jump shot.
- King then iced the game at the free throw line, taking the rivalry contest 78-70.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Young posted 11 points and 12 rebounds for the double-double.
- Frazier led five Tornado scorers in double figures with 16 points to go along with five assists.
- James Brown added 14 points and eight rebounds.
- Moore and Salomon chipped in with 11 points apiece.
FOR THE FOES
- Malik Wright and Anthony Hicks led Lees-McRae with 15 points each.
- Andrew Garner followed with 12 points and nine rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Young, the double-double is his fifth of the season.
- King placed five scorers in double figures for the second time this season, the last was on November 28 in a win over Virginia State University.
- King travels to North Greenville University on Saturday, tipoff scheduled for 4:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae hosts Barton College on Saturday.