TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The King University men's basketball team tried to avenge a loss earlier this season when they traveled to North Greenville University. The Tornado went on a run down the stretch to regain the lead, but North Greenville escaped with a 71-70 win with a tip-in with 3.0 seconds remaining.
FINAL SCORE: North Greenville 71, King 70
LOCATION: Hayes Gymnasium; Tigerville, S.C.
RECORDS: King 13-12, 6-9 Conference Carolinas, North Greenville 7-19, 3-13 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Justin Frazier broke a 10-10 tie with a triple four minutes in that kick-started the Tornado offense.
- James Brown followed with a triple and Frazier later capped the 11-2 spurt that put the Tornado ahead 21-12 with another trifecta.
- Brown knocked down another three-point basket with 11:04 remaining to put King ahead 24-18 before the Tornado offense went cold.
- King went without a point for nearly five minutes and without a field goal for nearly six minutes as the Crusaders went on a 14-3 run to take a 26-24 lead.
- Tyre Moore Jr. knocked down a pair of free throws before drilling a triple that put King ahead 29-28 five minutes before halftime.
- Isaiah Curry stretched the Tornado lead back to seven with a layup before the Crusaders beat the buzzer to make the halftime score 39-34 in favor of the Tornado.
- The Crusaders continued their run in the second half, scoring seven of the first nine points to even the tally at 41.
- North Greenville used a 6-0 run to take a 45-41 lead four minutes into the second stanza.
- The score was again tied at 49 before North Greenville used a 9-2 spurt to open up a 58-51 lead with nine minutes remaining.
- The Tornado deficit grew to as many as 10 at 66-56 before the Tornado closed the final five minutes on a run.
- Four points from Moore and two more from Frazier pulled King within 66-62.
- Mike Salomon made a jump shot in the paint to pull King within one, and he followed with a layup that put the Tornado ahead 70-69 with 1:37 remaining.
- Both teams missed shots in the final minute and the Crusaders had the final possession with 15 seconds remaining.
- North Greenville's shot was off the mark, but Kovi Tate tipped in the miss with three seconds left to give the Crusaders the lead.
- A heave for the Tornado was off the mark as the Crusaders escaped with the 71-70 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Frazier led King with 18 points and Moore followed with 14.
- Brown added 12 points while Curry grabbed a game-high 12 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Tate led North Greenville with 24 points and 11 rebounds.
- Daniel Burchette followed with 15 points, five rebounds and six assists.
- King hosts Belmont Abbey College on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- North Greenville hosts Limestone College on Wednesday night.