CENTRAL, S.C. – The King University men's basketball team closed the regular season with a victory at Southern Wesleyan University. The Tornado used a big second half to pull away and take the 68-56 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 68, Southern Wesleyan 56
LOCATION: Tysinger Gymnasium; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 15-13, 8-10 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 2-26, 1-17 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King jumped out to an 8-5 lead following a Desmond Davis layup three minutes into the contest.
- The Warriors came back to take the lead, but Mike Salomon responded with a three-point basket to put King back on top.
- However, Southern Wesleyan scored five quick points to regain the lead and extend it to 19-15.
- A Tyre Moore Jr. triple gave the lead back to King and capped a 6-0 Tornado spurt.
- The Warriors again counted to regain the lead with an 8-2 run.
- The score was even at 27 before Southern Wesleyan held the advantage for the final three minutes.
- Moore beat the buzzer with a tip-in, make the halftime score 33-32 at the break.
- The Tornado defense dug in to start the second half, holding the Warriors to eight points through the first 10 minutes of the half.
- On the offensive side, King scored the first 14 points of the half, taking a 46-33 lead following a Salomon triple.
- The King lead grew to as many as 18 at 61-43 following a Moore layup.
- Southern Wesleyan didn't go away as the Warriors used a 9-1 run to pull within 10, but it wasn't enough as King closed out the 68-56 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Jordan Young led King with a career-high 18 points to go along with 14 rebounds.
- Salomon followed with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- Justin Frazier followed with 14 points while Moore added 11 points and nine rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Javon Hunter led Southern Wesleyan with 19 points.
- Jalen Lowery followed with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Salomon is his second of the season and first since November 11 when he posted 11 points and 10 rebounds in a win over Columbus State University.
- Young registered his seventh double-double of the season.
- King will the sixth seed in the Conference Carolinas Men's Basketball Championship.
- The Tornado will travel to take on third seed Barton College at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday night.