BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's basketball team earned a tough home victory over Conference Carolinas foe Emmanuel College on Wednesday afternoon. The Tornado fell behind early, but closed the first half on a run and catapulted King into the lead. Jordan Floyd scored 33 points, leading the Tornado to the 88-82 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 88, Emmanuel 82
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-3, 3-2 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 6-6, 3-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions jumped out a 4-0 lead as they held King scoreless for nearly four minutes.
- The offense eventually heated up for the Tornado as Floyd capped a 7-0 spurt that gave King a 13-8 lead.
- Emmanuel came back to pull within 17-16, but the Tornado rolled off their longest run of the contest, 11 points.
- A Justin Frazier three-point play started the run before a pair of Blake Atwood free throws gave King a 28-16 lead.
- Brandon Lamberth gave King their largest lead of the game at 34-20 with four minutes remaining in the first half.
- However, the Lions started chipping away as the scored 10 straight points to pull within 34-30 with two minutes remaining in the opening half.
- Josh Releford drilled a triple and Floyd made a pair of free throws to extend the lead as King led 39-32 at the half.
- Emmanuel started the second half on a run, pulling even with the Tornado at 42 in the opening four minutes.
- However, the Tornado answered with a Releford triple.
- King stretched their lead back to 50-44, but the Lions came back and evened the tally at 53.
- Floyd then drilled a triple that started a 7-0 run that extended the Tornado advantage to 60-53 midway through the second half.
- Emmanuel came back once again, pulling within four before the teams started to trade points.
- The Lions eventually evened the score again, this time at 70 with six minutes remaining, but Floyd had an answer again.
- Frazier connected on one of his three triples in the contest with three minutes remaining to give King an 80-74 lead.
- Mike Salomon later stretched the Tornado advantage to 83-76 with his lone triple of the game with two minutes remaining.
- From there, King closed out the 88-82 win at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd led four King scorers in double figures with 33 points, four rebounds and five assists.
- Lamberth and Frazier followed with 12 points each.
- Damion Ottman chipped in with 10 points and six rebounds.
- Salomon led the Tornado with eight rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Brandon Simpson led Emmanuel with 20 points.
- Emerson McClung posted 15 points and 10 rebounds.
- Tyonn Stuckey chipped in with 14 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd posted his sixth 30-point performance of the season.
- King travels to take on the University of Southern Indiana on Saturday. The Screaming Eagles are ranked 16th in each the NABC and D2SIDA polls. Tipoff from Evansville, Ind., is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. ET.
- Emmanuel is in action again on January 2 when they host North Greenville University.