EVANSVILLE, Ind. – The King University men's basketball team took to the road to take on one of the top teams in the country, 16th-ranked Southern Indiana University. The Tornado trailed by one at halftime, but the Screaming Eagles pulled away late in the second half to take the contest 87-68.
FINAL SCORE: #16 Southern Indiana 87, King 68
LOCATION: Screaming Eagles Arena; Evansville, Ind.
RECORDS: King 8-4; Southern Indiana 7-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Damion Ottman got the scoring started for the Tornado with a triple in the opening seconds.
- Following a Southern Indiana basket, King scored nine straight points started by a Mike Salomon three-point basket.
- James Brown made the King lead 12-2 with a layup three minutes in.
- However, the Screaming Eagles responded with nine straight points to pull within 14-11.
- Jordan Floyd gave King their largest lead of the game at 25-14 with a triple eight minutes into the contest.
- However, Southern Indiana came back with 13 consecutive points to take a 27-25 lead before Floyd got the Tornado back on the board.
- Southern Indiana stretched their lead to 36-31 before a Brandon Lamberth trifecta in the final minute.
- Floyd then beat the halftime buzzer to pull King within 38-37 at the break.
- The Screaming Eagles looked to gain control of the contest early in the second half, using a 14-0 run to open up a 54-39 advantage in the opening five minutes before Floyd made a layup.
- That basket started a 12-2 Tornado run as Brown capped the spurt with a dunk that pulled King within 56-51.
- A pair of Floyd free throws cut the King deficit to 58-55 midway through the half, but the Screaming Eagles again had an answer.
- Southern Indiana scored 12 of the next 15 points, opening up a 70-58 lead with five minutes remaining.
- From there, the Tornado couldn't get a run going as the Screaming Eagles took the contest 87-68.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd led the Tornado with 26 points, going 8-for-11 from the free throw line.
- Brown followed with a season-high 21 points and seven rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Southern Indiana was led by 23 points from Josh Price off the bench.
- Emmanuel Little followed with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Mateo Rivera added 14 points off the bench and Joe Laravie chipped in with 11 pionts.
- King returns to the court on January 2 at Southern Wesleyan University. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Southern Indiana hosts Tiffin University on Sunday.