MURFREESBORO, N.C. – The King University men's basketball team held a lead at the half at Chowan University on Saturday, but a big Hawk run early in the second half was too much for the Tornado to overcome. King fought back, but couldn't regain the lead as they fell to Chowan 84-80.
FINAL: Chowan 84, King 80
LOCATION: Helms Center; Murfreesboro, N.C.
RECORDS: King 10-5, 5-3 Conference Carolinas; Chowan 5-8, 2-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mike Salomon got the Tornado off to a hot start with a triple as the Tornado led 6-0 two minutes in.
- The Tornado scored nine straight point to open up a 17-6 lead following a Jordan Floyd dunk with 13 minutes remaining in the first half.
- However, Chowan answered with an 18-2 run that vaulted the Hawks into a 24-19 lead with seven minutes remaining until halftime.
- Justin Frazier scored five straight points to put the Tornado back ahead, but the Hawks answered to regain the lead.
- King went on a 9-1 run as Olajuwon Oyegoke gave King a 36-31 lead with a layup in the final minute.
- The Hawks scored as time expired, but King led 36-33 at the break.
- Chowan came out on fire, scoring the first 12 points of the second half to take a 45-36 lead before Salomon got the Tornado on the board three minutes into the stanza.
- The King deficit grew to 65-49 with nine minutes remaining before the Tornado started to chip away at their deficit.
- King scored 10 straight points as part of a 15-3 spurt that pulled the Tornado within 68-64 with five minutes remaining.
- Frazier scored eight points on the run, including a pair of triples while Floyd added five points.
- A Floyd trifecta cut the King deficit to-69-67, but the Hawks extended their lead back to 74-67.
- Floyd cut the Tornado deficit to one twice, the second at 78-77 with a pair of free throws with 35 seconds remaining.
- However, King couldn't get any closer as the Hawks closed out the 84-80 win at the free throw line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd led the Tornado with 33 points, going 6-for-12 from three-point range and 9-for-11 from the free throw line.
- Frazier followed with 17 points, five rebounds and four assists.
- Salomon chipped in with 13 points.
FOR THE FOES
- BJ McLaurin led Chowan with 27 points and 14 rebounds.
- Jamal Thomas followed with 21 points, eight rebounds and six assists.
- Michael Kelly added 12 points and Jaylen Dillard chipped in with 10 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Floyd now has nine 30-point games this season.
- King returns home to take on North Greenville University at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday night.
- Chowan travels to Limestone College on Wednesday night.