Bears Outlast Tornado in Double Overtime

Bears Outlast Tornado in Double Overtime
BRISTOL, Tenn. – Behind the leg of Tom Winspear, the Tornado forced a 1-1 tie and two overtime sessions against the Lenoir Rhyne Bears, Wednesday evening. The Bears scored the game-winning goal in the 101st minute to defeat King, 2-1.

Stefan Kwiatkowski (Ocala, Fla.) made two key saves in the first overtime period, totaling five on the night. The Bears' third shot recorded in the second overtime period was the game decider, scored by Jordan Holmes at 100:48.

King (2-6-1) fell down one man after Matt Kilgus (Roanoke, Va.) was given a red card for physical play. Lenoir Rhyne took made the most of the advantage, droving deep into King territory. A battle for a loose ball ended up on the foot of Holmes who placed a direct shot into the right side of the goal for the game-winner.

"It was heartbreaking to lose again in double overtime," said Head Coach Louie Thorpe. "Sometimes the tension of the game can get to you and then you regret it. We need to regroup again. They had chances. We had chances too."

Winspear (Yarm, England) tied the game at one goal using a pass from Zack Caracciolo (Clarksville, Tenn.) and some nifty dribbling to give him optimal position from 15 yards out before placing a strike to the right side of the goal. With the goal, Winspear has now touched double digits in goals for the season with ten now having scored in five of the team's nine games.

Daniel Jones scored the game's first game in the 26th minute off of a corner kick from three yards out to give the Bears a 1-0 lead before Winspear tied the game just over two minutes later.

"We need to keep focused on the goal at hand," said Thorpe. It was not a conference game but the way they showed up today, they acted and played like it was a conference game."

King next plays the University of Rio Grande on Saturday, Oct. 8, at home for a 4:00 p.m. kickoff. The men will follow the Lady Tornado game versus the Tusculum Pioneers.