Tornado Falter Late in 3-2 Loss to Concord

Tornado Falter Late in 3-2 Loss to Concord
Pete Griffith scored his second and third goals of the season but was nullified by a pair of goals by the Mountain Lions to help them pull away, 3-2.

ATHENS, W.Va. – King held a one-goal lead  coming out of halftime behind a pair of goals by Pete Griffith but the lead was lost by two goals scored three minutes apart in the second half by hsot Concord University. The Mountain Lions scored the eventual game-winning goal on a penalty kick to pull away with a 3-2 win.

After falling behind 1-0 when Caleb Bone scored just 2:36 into the match, senior defenseman Pete Griffith (Ballyclare, N. Ireland) helped King storm back with goals in the 13th and 21st minutes. The goals were Griffith's third and fourth of the season, giving King their first lead of the game.

Just before Griffith's first goal, Thomas Dube (Johnson City, Tenn./Tri-Cities Christian H.S.) rang the post with a shot, though it stayed out of the Concord cage.

King held that lead going into halftime and kept the shot differential close, 11-7, in the first half.

Concord used a two-goal second half to complete the comeback and take a 3-2 advantage to the final gun. Kris Robbins scored his first goal of the season 13:39 into the second half, unassisted, to tie the game at two. Less than three minutes later, a King foul in the box allowed Vincent Richard to take a penalty kick, which he converted into this sixth goal of the season and a Concord 3-2 lead.

The Tornado were held to three shots in the second half to total 10 shots. Concord tallied 13 second half shots for 24 total.

Junior Josh Feener (Mt. Juliet, Tenn.) made 10 saves on 13 shots put on target again him to achieve a new career-high in saves.

King (1-14) will play its last Conference Carolinas match in Banner Elk, N.C. against Lees-McRae College on Oct. 23.  They will play their final match of the season at home on Oct. 27 at Parks Field versus Trevecca Nazarene.