Tornado come back to take 2-2 draw with Union (Ky.)

Tornado come back to take 2-2 draw with Union (Ky.)

BRISTOL, Tenn. – Playing their fourth game in the last seven days, the King University men's soccer team grabbed the lead over Union College (Ky.) late in the second half. The Tornado then had to come back late in the game to send the game to overtime where neither team was able to find the back of the net as the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

The Tornado (1-9-2) pressured the Bulldogs early and often in the first half as they outshot Union 10-4 in first frame. Kendale Liburd had King's first scoring chance in the 19th minute as he took a header off a corner kick that was saved by CJ Hopkins. Thomas Dube followed with an excellent chance in the 20th minute, but his shot was just a touch high as it clanked off the crossbar.

Six minutes later, Ryan Murphy beat the keeper with his shot from the left side. However, it ricocheted off the right post as the game remained scoreless. King kept the pressure on Union (6-5-2) as Liburd and Chris Hicks each had shots saved by Hopkins in the 40th and 43rd minutes, respectively.

Hicks finally broke through with 14 seconds left in the half as Murphy fed him a pass from the baseline on the right of the goal. Hicks received the pass in the center of the field and slid his shot into the open net for his first career goal, giving King a 1-0 advantage.

The tide turned in the second half as the Bulldogs had four shots and four corners in a two minute stretch at the beginning of the frame, but couldn't convert. Union evened the score in the 58th minute as Joe Butcher converted on a penalty kick after King got call for a handball in the box.

Butcher struck again in the 62nd minute as he took a free kick from 25 yards out at the right center of the goal. He placed his shot into the left side of the goal to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 lead.

King then pushed play back to the other end of the field as Daniel Krause and Liburd both sent shots high in the 72nd and 73rd minutes. The Tornado tallied the equalizer in the 86th minute as Murphy dribbled down the left side of the box and ripped his shot low past the keeper for the first goal of his career.

Neither team was able to score in the final four minutes as the game headed to overtime. The Tornado had a chance in the 92nd minute, but Ryan Cobain's shot was turned away by Hopkins. Butcher took a free kick for Union in the 100th minute, and he placed his shot on net. However, the attempt was stopped by Kari Sveinsson and the game went to a second overtime.

The Tornado had a pair of scoring chances in the second extra session as Cobain ripped a shot in the 102nd minute that was turned away. In the 109th minute, Cobain ripped another shot that beat the keeper, but was cleared by the Bulldog defense as the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

King outshot Union 23-18, putting 10 shots on goal while Union only had five shots on target. Union had 10 corner kicks to King's five.

King returns to Conference Carolinas play on Tuesday when they travel to take on North Greenville University. Kickoff from Tigerville, S.C., is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.


Tornado fall to Bobcats 2-0
October 12, 2013 Tornado fall to Bobcats 2-0
Tornado fall at Erskine 3-0
October 9, 2013 Tornado fall at Erskine 3-0
Brevard tops King 1-0
September 14, 2013 Brevard tops King 1-0