BANNER ELK, N.C. – In the last road Conference Carolina regular season game of the year, the King University men's soccer team squared off against Lees-McRae College. The Tornado struck first in the first half to take an early lead 1-0, but the Bobcats four goals in the first game half proved too much of a deficit to come back from, ultimately resulting in Lees-McRae taking the contest 6-2.
FINAL SCORE: Lees-McRae 6, King 2
LOCATION: Tate Field; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 6-10, 4-5 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 4-11, 4-5 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King in the 13th minute scored the first goal of the game. Eli Carrasco took a corner kick and after a fight for the ball, Freek Schoones scored his sixth goal of the by finding the mid left net.
- Lees-McRae in the 19th minute scored to even the score at 1-1. James Morgan bicycled kicked the ball into the left corner of the goal after Nathan Watt had a free kick from about 25 yard away.
- The Bobcat's Taylor Gray scored the next goal in the 25th minute. A cross from David Frederick was sent in front of the box and Gray finished it off with a header.
- Pol Vassart extended the lead in the 31st minute when a cluster formed in front of the net, and Vassart knocked it in from about five feet away. Taylor Gray and Zachary Clay were in on the assists.
- The final goal of the first half came from Thomas Deeley in the 38th minute. Deeley was able to cut through the defense and sent a shot that found the lower right-side net.
- Lees-McRae scored again in the 59th minute when a cross sent from Vassart found Nathan Watt who then finished it off with a score in the back left side net.
- In the 68th minute, Deeley scored his second goal of the game unassisted from a free kick taken just outside the top box that found the upper right net.
- King scored the final goal of the game in the 72th minute when Carrasco took a free kick from about 25 yards away, which landed in the lower right corner net.
- King ripped 14 shots in the game, placing eight on frame.
- Sveinsson had two saves for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Lees-McRae placed 8 of their 17 shots on goal.
- Deeley's two goals, gives him the team lead with nine for the season.
- King returns home to face Barton for their final Conference Carolina regular season game of the year on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 3:00 pm.
- Lees-McRae stays at home to play Emmanuel College on Saturday.