BELMONT, N.C. – The King University men's soccer team traveled to Belmont Abbey College for a Conference Carolinas matchup. Faber Bickerstaffe scored in the second half for the Tornado, but three first half goals for Belmont Abbey were the difference as the Crusaders took the game 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: Belmont Abbey 3, King 1
LOCATION: Alumni Field; Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 2-7-1, 0-6 Conference Carolinas; Belmont Abbey 7-1, 4-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crusaders controlled play early, having a shot blocked and another hit the post in the opening five minutes.
- The Tornado countered as Bickerstaffe had a shot blocked in the 17th minute and Carlos Saavedra ripped a shot that was on target, but was saved by the Belmont Abbey goalkeeper in the 22nd minute.
- Belmont Abbey broke through in the 27th minute when Mark Trompeter played a ball into the middle of the box from the end line that was redirected into the goal by Gianni Serio.
- The Crusaders continued to press, and Josh Irons extended the lead to a 2-0 with a shot from a tight angle in the 32nd minute.
- In the 39th minute, the Crusaders earned a corner kick, and on the kick, Maynor Figueroa put his header in the back of the net, giving Belmont Abbey the 3-0 lead at the break.
- Belmont Abbey continued to control play over the first part of the second half until the Tornado turned the field over the final 25 minutes.
- Luis Calderon nearly got King on the board in the 68th minute, but his shot in the post.
- In the 75th minute, Ben Allan had his shot saved, and the ball ended up at the top of the box on Bickerstaffe's foot.
- Bickerstaffe then collected and ripped his shot into the upper left corner, cutting the King deficit to 3-1.
- The Tornado had a chance to pull within in one, but Calderon's shot in the 78th minute rolled just wide of the goal as the Crusaders took the game 3-1.
- King placed three of their 12 shots on goal while earning one corner kick.
FOR THE FOES
- Belmont Abbey took 22 shots in the game, placing eight on frame. The Crusaders also had 12 corner kicks in the contest.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Bickerstaffe was his first this season and eighth of his career.
- King hosts Chowan University on Saturday. Kickoff on Senior Day is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
- Belmont Abbey travels to Lees-McRae College on Saturday.