BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team took on Milligan College Wednesday afternoon in a nonconference matchup. The Tornado played fantastic as they posted a 7-0 victory over the visiting Buffalos. King posted their highest single game goal total in this one as the offense was dominate.
FINAL SCORE: King 7, Milligan 0
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: 3-9-2, 0-8-1 Conference Carolinas; Milligan 1-14-1, 0-8-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King held control of the contest early, and they found the back of the net first when Ben Harris ripped a shot off of a rebound into the right side of the goal in the 20th minute. Luis Calderon recorded the assist on the play.
- Shortly after, Carlos Saavedra put a shot past the Buffalo keeper in the 22nd minute with a shot far post. Calderon handed out another assist on the goal.
- Just over a minute later, Ben Delisle blocked a Milligan clear and took a shot that beat the keeper on the lower left side of the goal. The goal in the 23rd minute capped off a three goal flurry for King.
- In the 32nd minute, Lucas Lavender sent a cross in from the right side of the field that found Saavedra on the receiving end who headed the ball past the goalkeeper to make it 4-0 Tornado.
- At the half, King led 4-0 and recorded nine total shots along with five corner kicks.
- The second half started with the Tornado controlling the tempo and pace of the game. In the 56th minute, Sam Mburu took a pass from Saavedra at the top of the box and ripped a shot bottom left for his first career goal as a member of the King program.
- Five minutes later, Mburu found the back of the net again on a pass from Delisle beating the keeper low again.
- In the 80th minute, Gabriel Rodrigues got in on the scoring action as he perfectly placed a free kick from the top of the box past the Milligan goalkeeper into the upper left corner of the goal. The goal was his first career goal as a member of the King men's soccer team.
- The goal by Rodrigues put the Tornado up 7-0 which would ultimately be the final as King defeated Milligan.
FOR THE FOES
- Nick Smith posted four saves for the Buffalo.
- Milligan recorded four corner kicks on the game.
BEYOND THE BOX
- Mburu and Rodrigues posted their first career goals as members of the King men's soccer team.
- King recorded their first home win of the season with their 7-0 victory over Milligan.
- With his two goals today, Saavedra now has seven goals on the season which leads the Tornado.
- King hosts Carson-Newman University Wednesday October 25th at 1:00 pm in a nonconference matchup.
- Milligan heads to St. Andrews University on Saturday.