BRISTOL, Tenn. – In the final home game of the season, the King University men's soccer team relied on a senior duo to defeat Carson-Newman University. Luis Calderon and Faber Bickerstaffe combined for the contest's lone goal in the 57th minute, giving the Tornado the 1-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Carson-Newman 0
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-9-2; Carson-Newman 9-5-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Carson-Newman controlled play the majority of the first half, outshooting the Tornado 9-2 in the stanza.
- Dalton Gammon came up with a save in the third minute and another one in the 29th minute to keep the game scoreless.
- Jairo Ruiz Caram had a shot blocked for the Tornado in the 13th minute for the Tornado and Ben Delisle's shot in the 43rd minute was also blocked as the game went to half scoreless.
- King started the second half on the attack as Bickerstaffe ripped a shot that was saved in the 55th minute.
- Following a corner kick in the 57th minute, Bickerstaff found Calderon in front of the net, and Calderon punched it in, giving King the 1-0 lead.
- King continued to press, taking three shots in the 63rd and 64th minute, but none were on target.
- Calderon had a chance to put the game out of reach in the 85th minute, but his shot was turned away by the Eagle goalkeeper.
- The Tornado defense clamped down the Eagles in the second half, only allowing two shots, none of which were on target.
- King also held Carson-Newman without a corner kick in the second stanza.
- In the contest, King took 11 shots, placing three on goal and earned three corner kicks.
- For Calderon, the goal was his fourth of the season.
FOR THE FOES
- Carson-Newman placed two of their 11 shots on frame and earned three corner kicks.
- King closes the regular season on Saturday at Barton College. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.
- Carson-Newman travels to Coker College on Saturday.