BRISTOL, Tenn. – The scoring came early and often for the King University men's soccer team as they opened the season on Thursday afternoon against Concord University. Ben Delisle scored one minute into the contest, setting the tone for the 2-0 Tornado victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Concord 0
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-0; Concord 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Delisle wasted no time getting the scoring going as he came away with steal and buried his shot past the Concord keeper, giving King the 1-0 lead one minute in.
- The Mountain Lions had a chance in the 10th minute, but Tornado goalkeeper Dalton Gammon came up with a save on a Concord header.
- King countered with a Delisle shot on frame and a pair of corners but couldn't find the second goal.
- The second goal came in the 30th minute off the foot of Carlos Saavedra. He received a pass from Jalen Willis over the defense and beat the keeper into the left side of the net.
- The Tornado had a flurry of shots in the 40th minute, but all three shots were saved, keeping the score at 2-0 at the break.
- Gammon came up with another save in the 51st minute, keeping the shutout intact.
- The Mountain Lions didn't give up in the second half, pressuring the Tornado defense.
- Gammon came up with a save in the 67th minute and another in the 88th minute, giving King the 2-0 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Delisle and Saavedra netted goals while Gammon came up with five saves, three in the second half.
FOR THE FOES
- Ching Lokus made three saves for Concord.
- Maxime Ramioulle took a team-high three shots while Daniel Culverwell placed both of his shots on frame.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Willis, the assist was the first of his career.
- Gammon posts his second career shutout in goal.
- King travels to take on regional rival Tusculum College on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.
- Concord hosts Urbana University on Wednesday.