GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team took their first road trip of the season, and fell at Tusculum University. The Pioneers scored a pair of goals in the opening 30 minutes and added an insurance goal late for the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Tusculum 3, King 0
LOCATION: Pioneer Field; Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-1; Tusculum 2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tusculum controlled play early and eventually broke through in the 21st minute when Rian Marques chipped his shot in from 10 yards out.
- Henrique Devens extended the Pioneer lead to 2-0 when he ripped his shot off the left post and into the net in the 24th minute.
- Tusculum continued to press throughout the first half, but Tornado goalkeeper Dalton Gammon came up with a pair of saves to keep the King deficit at 2-0.
- The Tornado tried to turn the field in the second half as Carlos Saavedra had a pair of opportunities in the 60th minute. However, the first was blocked by the defense and the second saved by the Pioneer goalkeeper.
- In the 72nd minute, Saavedra took a penalty shot, but it was turned away.
- Tusculum added an insurance goal in the 81st minute when Sander Johansen headed a cross into the back of the net.
- King couldn't get another chance as the Pioneers took the contest 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took nine shots in the contest, placing four on frame. Saavedra put three of his five shots on goal.
- Gammon made four saves in the contest.
- Tusculum took 12 shots, placing eight on goal.
- King returns home on Wednesday when they host Shaw University. Kickoff from Parks Field is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Tusculum hosts Young Harris College on Wednesday night.