BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team played a tight contest with Shaw University on Wednesday afternoon at Parks Field. The Tornado came back to even the score late on Leo Braga's first career goal. Neither team was able to score the rest of the way as the contest ended in a 1-1.
FINAL SCORE: King 1, Shaw 1 (F/2OT)
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-1-1; Shaw 1-1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first half was a defensive struggle with only 10 total shots in the frame.
- The Tornado took seven shots, placing three on goal.
- One of Shaw's three shots were on frame in the opening half, but Dalton Gammon came up with a save to keep the Bears off the board.
- King had the first two opportunities with a Ben Delisle shot that sailed high in the 10th minute and Andrew Rhoda followed with a shot that was saved in the 12th minute.
- Jairo Ruiz Caram had an opportunity in the 45th minute, but his attempt was turned away by the Shaw goalkeeper to keep the contest scoreless
- Shaw broke through in the 63rd minute when Mortiz Lotzen picked up a loose ball and chipped his shot over the keeper to put the Bears ahead.
- The Tornado then turned the field and Delisle ripped a shot that just missed, going off the crossbar in the 74th minute.
- On the ensuing corner kick, Daniel Dube ripped shot that the Shaw goalkeeper made a diving save on.
- However, the rebound bounced right to Braga who ripped his shot just past the keeper to even the tally at 1-1.
- Shaw had a pair of opportunities in the final two minutes, but one was blocked and the other went wide right, sending the contest to overtime.
- Shaw had a corner halfway through the first extra session, but the Tornado cleared.
- King followed with a pair of corner kicks, but couldn't find the back of the net.
- The Bears responded with a shot in the 98th minute, but Gammon came up with a save, sending the contest to a second extra session.
- Gammon came up with another big save in the 102nd minute before King came back down the field and earned a pair corner kicks.
- Shaw had another scoring chance in the 109th minute, but Gammon turned that away as well, ending the contest in a 1-1 draw.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Braga scored his first career goal, and Dube accounted for his first career assist.
- Gammon made five saves in the contest.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Saturday at Emmanuel College. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. in Franklin Springs, Ga.
- Shaw travels to Christendom College on Saturday.