FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – In the second straight contest, the King University men's soccer team played a tight scoreless first half on Saturday when they traveled to Emmanuel College. The Lions broke through in the second half with a penalty kick goal to take the contest 1-0.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 1, King 0
LOCATION: Stephens Athletic Complex; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 1-2-1, 0-1 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 1-3, 1-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Carlos Saavedra had the game's first scoring chance for the Tornado as his shot was turned away in the fifth minute.
- Emmanuel then controlled play for the majority of the first half, but the Tornado defense held the Lion offense at-bay.
- Dalton Gammon came up with a pair of saves late in the half, keep the game scoreless.
- Leo Braga had a chance in the 44th minute, but his shot was stopped, sending the contest to halftime with no score.
- Again the Tornado were on the attack early in the second half with Lucas Lavender ripping a shot that was saved.
- Emmanuel had a pair of chances in the 63rd minute, but neither connected.
- The Lions' pressure paid off in the 68th minute when they were awarded a penalty kick. The kick for Danny McKerchar Cameron was successful, giving Emmanuel the lead.
- Over the final 15 minutes, the Tornado placed five shots on goal, including one in the final minute, but none found the back of the net.
- In the final minute, King took four shots, two were blocked, one went wide and the other was saved, giving Emmanuel the 1-0 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King ripped 18 shots in the contest, including 15 in the second half. The Tornado placed 10 shots on goal, but all were turned away by Andy Dunnett, the Lion goalkeeper.
- Emmanuel took 21 shots, placing seven on frame.
- Gammon made six saves in goal for the Tornado.
- King hosts Lincoln Memorial University on Wednesday at Parks Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel hosts Belmont Abbey College on Wednesday evening.