GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University men's soccer team went toe-to-toe with one of the nation's top teams on Wednesday night. The Tornado played through a scoreless 90 minutes with 10th-ranked Limestone College. The game remained scoreless until there was two minutes remaining in the second overtime when the Saints score to take the contest 1-0.
FINAL SCORE: Limestone 1, King 0 (F/2OT)
LOCATION: Saints Field; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 1-4-1, 0-2 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 5-0, 2-0 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening 45 minutes was played even as King took four shots and Limestone had five attempts.
- Each team placed one shot on goal, but the opposing goalkeeper was up to the task, keeping the game scoreless.
- The best chance for King may have come in the 37th minute when Ben Delisle ripped a shot that beat the keeper, but hit the post, sending the contest to halftime tied at 0-0-.
- Dalton Gammon came up big for the Tornado in the second half, making five saves to keep the 10th-ranked Saints off the scoreboard.
- Along with Gammon, the King defense stood tall in the second half facing 11 Limestone shots and three corner kicks, but the Tornado didn't give into the Saints.
- Dalton came up with two saves in the final five minutes, sending the game to overtime.
- Limestone continued to press in the first overtime, but Gammon came up with two saves, and the contest went to the second extra session.
- All the pressure paid off for the Saints in the 108th minute following a pair of corner kicks.
- Nacho Reigadao headed in the ball off the corner kick to the far post, handing the Tornado the 1-0 defeat.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Limestone took 23 shots while holding King to six in the contest.
- Diogo Ruivo ripped the lone shot on goal for the Tornado.
- Gammon made eight saves, including seven in the second half and overtime.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The overtime game marks the second straight double overtime contest for the Tornado and their third of the season.
- King last played three double overtime games in a season in 2015. That season they played six overtime matches and three that went to double overtime.
- King returns to take on Belmont Abbey College on Wednesday. Kickoff from Parks Field is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
- Limestone hosts Belmont Abbey on Saturday.