AIKEN, S.C. – The King University men's soccer team took to the road for a nonconference tilt against USC Aiken on Wednesday evening. The Pacers scored first, but the Tornado fought back to pull within a goal at the break. King couldn't complete the comeback in the second half as USC Aiken took the contest 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: USC Aiken 3, King 2
LOCATION: Pacer Pit; Aiken, S.C.
RECORDS: King 3-6-1; USC Aiken 3-4-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Pacers controlled play early in the first half, and the pressure paid off in the 26th minute Ricardo Pineda took a pass in the middle of the box and buried his shot.
- USC Aiken struck again two minutes later, extending their lead to 2-0 on a Daniel Orillac goal.
- King then tried to run the field as Samuel Corredor Rincon had his shot turned away in the 31st minute.
- The Tornado broke through in the 44th minute when Gabriel Rodrigues scored on a free kick from 15 yards out to make the halftime score 2-1.
- The King deficit grew to 3-1 in the 48th minute as the Pacers' Chukwudi Apugo took a cross and slid his shot past the goalkeeper.
- Carlos Saavedra had the counter-attack for the Tornado, but his shot was turned away in the 53rd minute.
- Saavedra broke through in the 58th minute when he dribbled up the middle and beat the goalkeeper, pulling King within 3-2.
- The Tornado had a pair of chances to net the equalizer in the 71st and 89th minutes, but the shots from Andrew Rhoda and Ulysses Houston were stopped.
- USC Aiken nearly scored their fourth goal in the 86th minute, the shot from Ricard Saintil hit the crossbar as the contest ended in a 3-2 win for the Pacers.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King placed seven of their 10 shots on goal while the Pacers had eight of their 16 shots on frame.
- The Pacers led the corner kicks category 10-3.
- Dalton Gammon made five saves in goal for the Tornado.
- The goal for Rodrigues was his first of the season.
- For Saavedra, it was his fourth goal of the year.
- King returns to Conference Carolinas play on Saturday at Chowan University. Kickoff is slated for 3:00 p.m.
- USC Aiken hosts Flagler College on Saturday afternoon.