BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team dropped a tough one to Erskine College 3-2 Saturday afternoon. The Tornado matched the Flying Fleets intensity throughout the match but were unable to come out with the win in the end.
FINAL SCORE: Erskine 3, King 2
LOCATION: Parks Field; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-8-1, 3-5 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 3-8-2, 2-5-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Erskine came out strong early in the first half as Dario Pavon had the game's first goal in the 17th minute.
- The Tornado matched Erskine's intensity and got the equalizing goal from Ruben Gutierrez assisted by Carlos Saavedra just 4 minutes after in the 21st minute.
- The momentum switched back to the Flying Fleet when Pavon reached the back of the net again to give Erskine the lead 2-1 in the 32nd minute.
- King, however, had an answer for Erskine with Samuel Corredor Rincon netting a goal of his own in the 35th minute assisted by Jairo Ruiz Caram to knot the game up at two going into the half.
- In the second half Erskine were able to find Pavon again in the box where he scored his third goal of the game in the 70th minute in which it ended up being the deciding goal in the match.
- Erskine would foil any attempt by the Tornado to tie the game and take the match 3-2
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Gutierrez had his first goal of the year and Corredor Rincon netted his second of the year.
- King outshot Erskine 17-10, placing six shots on goal while Erskine recorded eight shots on frame.
- The Tornado also had more corner kicks than the Flying Fleet taking six and allowing three for Erskine.
- Pavon had a hat trick on the day and now has eight goals on the year.
- King travels to Lees-McRae College on Tuesday night. Kickoff from Banner Elk, N.C. is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
- Erskine hosts Emmanuel College on Wednesday night.