BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's soccer team clinched their first playoff game at home in program history on Friday against Barton taking the final match of the season 2-1
FINAL SCORE: King 2, Barton 1
LOCATION: The Stone Castle; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-8-1, 5-5 Conference Carolinas; Barton 8-6-1, 4-5-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado came out strong early in the first half looking to be aggressive early in the match.
- A tough own goal by King coming from a Bulldog corner gave Barton the early 1-0 lead in the 32nd minute.
- However, King was quick to answer in the 35th minute with a goal coming from Gabriel Rodrigues and assisted by Ben Delisle his first assist of the year.
- The Tornado had possession for most of the game and at the half lead the shot total 16-0.
- In the second half, the Tornado continued to be aggressive and a foul in the box by Barton gave King the opportunity to take the lead.
- Carlos Saavedra took the penalty short for King and scored in the 52nd minute to give King a 2-1 lead.
- The Tornado were able to foil a comeback from the Bulldogs and won the game 2-1
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Rodrigues scored his second goal of the year and Saavedra netted his team-leading seventh of the year.
- King outshot Barton 18-1, placing six shots on goal while Barton recorded one shot on frame.
- King Hosts their first playoff game at home on Monday against Lees-McRae at 2 pm.