MARS HILL, N.C. – For the third time in as many games, the King University played a one-goal game, and their second straight contest that went to overtime. Callum Davidson scored his first career goal to even the score in the second half and send the game to overtime. However, the Lions scored on a free kick in the 95th minute to take the victory.
FINAL SCORE: Mars Hill 2, King 1 (F/OT)
LOCATION: Ammons Family Athletic Center & Meares Stadium; Mars Hill, N.C.
RECORDS: King 0-3; Mars Hill 1-1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started out as the aggressor in the early going with a pair of corner kicks in the opening 10 minutes.
- The Tornado had the game's first shot, coming off the foot of Adonis Wheeler, but it was wide in the seventh minute.
- The field then turned to the Lions as Mars Hill placed a shot on goal in the 24th minute, but Jeppe Christensen's shot was saved by Tornado goalkeeper Dalton Gammon.
- Gammon came up with two more saves in the 29th and 30th minutes to keep the Lions off the board.
- In the final minute of the first half, King earned two corner kicks, and Davidson ripped a shot, but it sailed left as the contest reached halftime with no score.
- The Lions came out on the attack in the second half, and their pressure paid off in the 65th minute when Joakim Lien found the back of the net.
- However, King turned the field and answered in the 73rd minute. Ben Delisle sent a cross from the left boundary that found Davidson on the far post.
- Davidson slid his shot past the goalkeeper to even the tally at 1-1.
- The teams traded scoring chances in the 79th minute, but each goalkeeper was up to the challenge.
- In the 84th minute, Delisle ripped a shot that went off the cross bar and Davidson chipped the rebound attempt high.
- The Lions nearly took the lead in the 88th minute, but Gammon came up with a big save for the Tornado.
- King countered with a shot from Samuel Corredor Rincon in the final minute, but the Mars Hill goalkeeper kept the ball in play to send the game to overtime.
- The Tornado had a chance three minutes into the extra session, but the Lion defense came up with a big play to thwart the opportunity in the box.
- In the 95th minute, Mars Hill had a free kick just outside the box.
- Sebastian Bertilsson ripped his shot into the upper right 90, giving the Lions the 2-1 victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Mars Hill outshot the Tornado 20-10, placing 10 shots on goal while King had three shots on goal.
- The Lions also earned 10 corner kicks to King's five.
- Gammon made eight saves for the Tornado in goal.
FOR THE FOES
- The goals for Lien and Bertilsson were the second of the season for each.
- Brennan Whalen made two saves in goal for the Lions.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Davidson was the first of his career.
- Delisle handed out his first assist of the season and third of his career.
- King opens Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they host Emmanuel College at 3:30 p.m. at Parks Field.
- Mars Hill travels to Lenoir-Rhyne University on Wednesday.