RALEIGH, N.C. – The King University men's soccer team held the advantage for the majority of the contest on Tuesday at Shaw University. The Bears made a late run to take the lead, but Ben Delisle answered to even the score for the Tornado and send the game to overtime. Neither team was able to score in either extra session as the contest ended in a 3-3 draw.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Shaw 3 (F/2OT)
LOCATION: The MAC; Raleigh, N.C.
RECORDS: King 1-4-1; Shaw 1-6-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Shaw started the game on the attack, taking four shots in the opening 15 minutes, three of which were off target and the other hit the post.
- King then turned the field as Ben Delisle had a shot blocked and king earned a corner kick in the 20th minute.
- Delisle then ripped a shot on goal, but the Shaw goalkeeper came up with a save to keep the game scoreless.
- The Tornado pressure paid off in the 32nd minute as Leo Braga fed a pass to Carlos Saavedra who placed his shot into the right corner of the net to put the Tornado ahead.
- Lucas Lavender placed another shot on goal for the Tornado, but it was turned away.
- Shaw had two shots over the final 10 minutes, but both were off target as King held the lead at halftime.
- Shaw placed a shot on goal that was turned away by Dalton Gammon in the 54th minute, but the Bears broke through in the 56th minute.
- Carl Kennedy placed a corner kick in the box that Ben Zuhlke got his head on to beat the Tornado defense and even the score.
- King regained the lead in the 62nd minute when L.A. Anderson found Andrew Rhoda who ripped a shot into the right corner.
- However, the Bears answered three minutes later when Andrew Camilo found the back of the net with an assist to Brandon Linares.
- Shaw grabbed their first lead of the game in the 82nd minute when Linares found the back of the net.
- The advantage was short-lived, however, as the Bears committed a foul in the box in the 87th minute.
- Delisle converted the penalty kick, evening the score and sending the game to overtime.
- The Bears took a shot that was wide and earned a corner kick in the first overtime while Saavedra sent a shot hit in the 100th minute for the Tornado.
- King earned a pair of corner kicks in the opening two minutes of the second overtime period.
- Samuel Corredor Rincon then came up with a shot that was on target in the 104th minute, but the shot was turned away.
- The Bears earned a corner kick in the waning seconds, but to no avail, as the contest ended in a 3-3 draw.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The shot total was even at 12 with King having the 7-5 edge in shots on goal.
- King also had a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Gammon made two saves in the game for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Theo Delaleu made four saves for the Bears.
- Linares led the way with a goal and an assist.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The goal for Rhoda was the first of the junior's career.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they travel to Barton College. Kickoff from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.
- Shaw travels to Mars Hill University on Saturday.