WILSON, N.C. – The King University men's soccer team fell 3-1 against Barton College on the road on Saturday afternoon. King evened the score in the first half, but couldn't overcome a pair of second-half goals from the Bulldogs.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 1
LOCATION: Bulldogs Athletic Complex; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 1-5-1, 0-1 Conference Carolinas; Barton 7-2-1, 3-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barton showed momentum early on in the first few minutes of the game, as the Bulldogs outshot the Tornado six to one in the first 30 minutes of the game.
- Ben Delisle had the first shot attempt for King in the 23rd minute, but it was saved by Francisco Noguera.
- The Bulldogs took the 1-0 lead in the 31st minute after a header goal in the lower left side of the net by Omar Aboutaleb. The goal was assisted by Ruben Mancio.
- King quickly answered back with a goal of their own and tied the score 1-1 in the 32nd minute after Carlos Saavendra stole the ball from Barton and sent the ball 22 yards into the net.
- King's last shot attempt in the first half was off a corner kick by Lucas Lavender, but the shot was not converted.
- Barton continued their offensive momentum into the second half and pulled ahead 2-1 after Throstur Jonasson shot a header from the box in the 51st minute that was assisted by Halldor Thorsteinsson.
- Zubair Taylor took a shot in the 62nd minute that was wide and Delisle had a shot in the 64th minute that was saved by Noguera.
- King had two corner kicks in four minutes, one by Lavender and another shot by Nathan Rincon.
- Callum Davidson tried to find the net in the 75th minute, but his shot was saved by Noguera.
- Jairo Ruiz Caram followed with another shot to try to give King another chance to score, but his shot was blocked.
- Barton pulled away and scored their third goal in the 81st minute after Aboutaleb shot from in the box to give the Bulldogs a 3-1 lead. The shot was assisted by Ludovic Rocha and Ruben Mancio.
- The Tornado only got one more shot off in the 81st minute, but Delisle's shot missed high.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Barton outshot the Tornado 16-9 as both teams placed six shots on goal.
- The Bulldogs also earned four corner kicks to King's three.
- Dalton Gammon finished with three saves.
FOR THE FOES
- Noguera finished with five saves
- King will travel to play Belmont Abbey College next Saturday at 3:00 p.m at Alumni Field.
- Barton travels to Francis Marion University on Wednesday.