CENTRAL, S.C. – The King University men's soccer team jumped ahead of Southern Wesleyan University with a pair of goals in the opening 10 minutes. King didn't look back as they topped the Warriors 5-0 to earn their first Conference Carolinas win of the season.
FINAL SCORE: King 5, Southern Wesleyan 0
LOCATION: Childs Field; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 2-8-1, 1-4 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 1-12, 0-7 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado pressured Southern Wesleyan in the first half, placing seven of their nine shots on goal.
- On the defensive end, King held the Warriors to five shots, only two on goal. Both shots were saved by Cameron Horsfall, the Tornado goalkeeper.
- Carlos Saavedra gave King the lead when he got behind the defense and dribbled around the goalkeeper in the fourth minute.
- He added another goal in the eighth minute when he again got behind the defense and beat the goalkeeper.
- The score remained the same until the 32nd minute with Nathan Rincon netted his first career goal.
- Saavedra then found Ben Delisle in the 39th minute who stretched the King lead to 4-0.
- In the 48th minute, Delisle ran on to a loose ball at the top of the box and ripped his shot off the goalkeeper and inside the right goalpost.
- Southern Wesleyan tried to get their offense going in the second half, taking 17 shots.
- However, the Tornado defense only allowed three shots on goal and Horsfall came up with saves on all three occasions to give King the 5-0 win.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- King took 19 shots in the contest, placing 10 on goal.
- Horsfall made five saves for the shutout.
FOR THE FOES
- Southern Wesleyan took 22 shots in the game with five being on target.
- Brandon Smith made three saves and Will Hughes made two saves in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The multi-goal game for Delisle gives him three games this year with two goals and five in his career.
- For Saavedra, the multi-goal game is his first of the season and fifth of his career. He had one a season ago and three in 2017.
- Horsfall earned his first career win and shutout in goal for the Tornado.
- King returns home on Saturday to take on the University of Mount Olive. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan travels to Limestone College on Saturday.