BRISTOL, Va. – The King University men's swimming team hosted Mars Hill University and Emory & Henry College on Friday night in their first event of 2018. The Tornado topped Emory & Henry 102-22, but fell to the Lions 118-60.
FINAL SCORE: King 102, Emory & Henry 22; Mars Hill 118, King 60
LOCATION: Virginia High School; Bristol, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The quartet of Cade Martin, Ethan DeRouis, Tyler Brewster and Wayne Bilancione started the meet with a time of 1:46.40 in the 200 yard medley relay.
- Aleksandar Stosik came in with a 200 yard freestyle time of 1:52.24, taking second in the event.
- In the 50 yard freestyle, DeRois finished in 23.70 seconds with Brewster not far behind at 23.87 seconds.
- Juan Somoza won the 200 yard individual medley by nearly seven seconds with a time of 2:01.81.
- Stosik followed that with another win for the Tornado, touching the wall first with a 100 yard freestyle time of 49.13 seconds.
- Somoza came up with another victory, finishing the 200 yard backstroke in 2:02.04.
- In the 500 yard freestyle, Martin finished in 5:18.08.
- DeRouis came in with a 200 yard breaststroke time of 2:38.67.
- Bilancione finished the 1000 yard freestyle in a time of 12:32.09.
- The 400 yard freestyle relay team of Martin, Stosik, Brewster and Somoza finished first by four seconds with a time of 3:23.52.
QUOTE FROM THE COACH
- "Today we celebrated three seniors and one graduating Junior with some fantastic efforts during the hardest training of the season," head coach James Graves said. "I'm very proud of this team that is really starting to come together. Special thanks to the King faculty and alumni that came out tonight to support the swim team. To see the President and his wife come out tonight to cheer us on was awesome. Go Tornado!"
- The Tornado are in action again on January 26 when they travel to take on Carson-Newman University. The meet is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m.