BRISTOL, Va. – The King University men's swimming team started their season with a pair of victories on Saturday morning. The Tornado defeated Milligan College 109.00-85.00 and Lees-McRae College 115.00-62.00.
FINAL SCORE: King 109.00, Milligan 85.00; King 115.00, Lees-McRae 62.00
LOCATION: Virginia High School; Bristol, Va.
RECORDS: King 2-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started the meet with a second place finish in the 400 yard medley relay as Juan Somoza, Jabari Ramsey, Maximillian Thomas, and Ethan DeRouis finished in 3:46.53.
- Cornelius Cremer won the 1000 yard freestyle with a time of 10:49.71 while Alex McRae finished third at 11:42.08.
- Simen Vik finished first with a 200 yard freestyle time of 1:46.33, and DeRouis finished fourth at 1:59.95.
- In the 50 yard freestyle, Ramsey finished fourth with a time of 24.00 seconds while Wayne Bilancione came in sixth at 24.83 seconds. Michael Walker finished in 26.24 seconds.
- Somoza won the 200 yard individual medley as he touched the wall in 1:59.48.
- Vik came up with another win in the 100 yard butterfly with a time of 53.80 seconds.
- In the 100 yard freestyle, DeRouis finished in 52.05 seconds to take third.
- Thomas came in second in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 56.91 seconds while Josh Vandergrift finished in 1:04.50.
- Cremer came up with another win, finishing the 500 yard freestyle in 5:06.84.
- Ramsey capped his day with a win in the 100 yard backstroke, touching the wall in 1:04.31.
- The Tornado 100 yard freestyle relay team of Somoza, Cremer, McRae, and Vik capped the meet with a win in the 400 yard freestyle relay.
"King Swimming strives to get better all the time, and today we competed hard and beat tough Milligan squad that we lost to last year and Lees-McRae team," head coach James Graves said. "Our upperclassmen continue to do a great job leading this young team, and I am pleased with the way we displayed sportsmanship towards our competitors. We will continue to work in the pool to improve our race strategies and conditioning, as well as in the classroom to reach our goal of a 3.25 team GPA."
- King returns to the pool on October 27 when they take on Barton College and William Peace University at the Triangle Aquatic Center in Raleigh, N.C.