MARS HILL, N.C. – The King University men's swimming team turned in a solid performance at Mars Hill University where they took on the host Lions and Warren Wilson College. Simen Vik set a new school record and nearly set another.
FINAL SCORE: King 171, Warren Wilson 23; Mars Hill 142, King 96
LOCATION: Mars Hill, N.C.
RECORD: King 4-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Vic finished the 500 yard freestyle in a new school record time of 4:56.56. Cornelius Cremer finished third with a time of 5:11.64.
- In the 200 yard butterfly, Vik finished first by 12 seconds, finishing in 1:57.89. That mark was only 0.2 seconds off the school record pace.
- The 400 yard medley relay team of Maximillian Thomas, Jabari Ramsey, Vik and Juan Somoza started the meet with a time of 3:38.81.
- Vik finished runner-up with a 200-yard freestyle time of 1:51.02 while Cremer came in at 1:56.03 and Alek McRae at 1:57.17.
- Thomas finished second in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 57.22 seconds.
- Ramsey won the 100 yard breaststroke, touching the wall in 1:00.92.
- Ethan DeRouis finished the 50 yard freestyle in 23.61 while McRae touched the wall in 24.52 seconds.
- In the 100 yard freestyle, DeRouis finished in 51.68 seconds and Cremer came in at 52.66 seconds.
- Somoza won the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 1:59.95.
- Ramsey finished runner-up in the 200 yard breaststroke, touching the wall in 2:19.70.
- Somoza came in with another win in the 100 yard butterfly, finishing in 55.15 seconds. Ramsey cane in third at 56.80 seconds.
- In the 200 yard individual medley, Somoza took his third win of the night with a time of 2:02.29.
- The Tornado finished the meet with the group of Thomas, McRae, Cremer and DeRouis coming in with a 400 yard freestyle relay time of 3:27.12.
"Today we fought hard and put up some good times against a tough out-of-conference opponent," head coach James Graves said. "We are maturing as a team, and I saw a lot of support for each other which is going to be essential as we approach our last two weeks before our mid-season meet in Charlotte. I'm proud of who this team is becoming, and we are right where we need to be at this point in the season. Congrats to Simen Vik on a team record in the 500 free, as well as three-time individual winner Juan Somoza, two-time winner Nicola Mead, and Jabari Ramsey who is starting to hit his form."
- King will be in action again on November 16-18 at the Fall Frenzy Invitational in Charlotte, N.C.