CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The King University men's swimming team finished third at the inaugural Conference Carolinas Swimming Championships. Simen Vik won two conference titles while Juan Somoza took home another to lead a Tornado team that set 10 school records at the meet.
KING RESULTS: 3rd of 5 (419.5)
LOCATION: Mecklenburg Municipal Pool; Charlotte, N.C.
- Vik won his second conference title in as many nights, setting the school record with a 200 yard butterfly time of 1:51.44. He won the race by nearly three seconds.
- In the 200 yard breaststroke, Jabari Ramsey finished runner-up with a school record time of 2:05.68.
- Somoza and Maximillian Thomas had solid swims in the 200 yard backstroke with times of 1:54.51 and 1:55.09 to take fourth and sixth place.
- Ethan DeRouis and Wayne Bilancione both set personal records in the 100 yard freestyle. DeRouis finished in 49.72 seconds while Bilancione touched the wall in 52.38 seconds.
- In the 200 yard breaststroke Michael Walker and Josh Vandergrift set personal records with times of 2:17.30 and 2:27.37, respectively.
"Great meet overall for King swimming," said head coach James Graves. "We had some great swims this week and are steadily moving forward as a program. We moved up a place from last year on both the men's and women's side and set 10 team records. We will miss our amazing seniors as we continue to lead, serve and achieve as individuals and a team."
- Vik posted an NCAA Division II B-cut time in the 400 individual medley when he touched the wall in 4:00.39. That time set a school record as he became the first swimmer in program history to post an NCAA Division II B-cut time.
- Vik won the 400 yard individual medley relay by four seconds over teammate Somoza who finished in 4:04.92. That marks Vik's first conference championship.
- Ramsey and Thomas also set school records. Ramsey when he recorded 100 yard breaststroke time of 55.85 seconds, finishing third and Thomas finished fourth in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 52.30 seconds.
- Ramsey also set a personal record in the 50 yard freestyle as he swam 22.23 seconds to leadoff the 200 yard freestyle relay.
- In the 400 yard individual medley, Vandergrift set a personal record with a time of 4:49.28.
- Bilancione set a personal best with a 100 yard butterfly time of 58.39 seconds.
- In the 200 yard freestyle, Alek McRae finished in 1:48.88, giving him a new personal best.
- Walker set a personal record in the 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:01.51.
"Four school records and some gutsy swims from our seniors capped off another great night for King swimming," head coach James Graves said. "Simen Vik's winning time for the 400 individual medley was the first NCAA Division II national B-cut time in program history. Everyone on the team contributed to the team points tonight as well. I'm very proud of our effort tonight!"
- Somoza set two school records on Thursday, starting with the 200 yard individual medley.
- He finished second with a time of 1:52.66, winning the conference championship. He became the first Tornado to win a Conference Carolinas title.
- Somoza started the 400 yard medley relay by setting a school record in the 100 yard backstroke, touching the wall in 2:14.18.
- The 400 yard medley relay team of Somoza, Ramsey, Vik and Thomas set a school record with a time of 3:29.74.
- McRae posted a personal record with a 500 yard freestyle time of 5:00.81, finishing seventh.
- In the 200 yard individual medley prelims, Vik posted a personal record time of 1:53.53.
- Bilancione set a personal best with a 50 yard freestyle time of 23.65 seconds.
- Also in the 50 yard freestyle, Thomas posted a personal record with a time of 21.75 seconds.
- In the 50 yard freestyle final, DeRouis finished with a personal record time of 22.30 seconds.
"Another great night for King Swimming, led by an inspiring swim by senior captain Juan Somoza winning the first ever men's Conference Carolinas championship," head coach James Graves said. "Everyone fought hard tonight and enjoyed competing as a team. I am looking forward to tomorrow and continuing to put up some great swims!"
- The 200 yard medley relay team of Somoza, Ramsey, Vik and Thomas finished second in a school record time of 1:36.06.
- In the 800 yard freestyle relay, the team of Somoza, Thomas, Ramsey and Vik touched the wall in a school record time of 6:48.57, taking a runner-up finish.
- Somoza posted a school record 200 yard freestyle record time of 1:42.90 as part of the relay.
- McRae set a personal best with a 1000 yard freestyle time of 10:30.36.