SUMTER, S.C. – The fifth seeded King University men's tennis team squared off with fourth seed Barton College in the quarterfinals of the Conference Carolinas Tournament early on Friday morning. The Tornado dropped a tight 5-1 decision to end their season.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 5, King 1
LOCATION: Palmetto Tennis Center; Sumter, S.C.
RECORDS: King 7-11; Barton 12-8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs grabbed the advantage, taking the top two doubles flights, but the Tornado duo of Arturo Alfaro and Lenny Keswani came up with a win at No. 3 doubles.
- The tandem defeated Jake McCartney and Rory Gaydon 8-7 (7-4) to get the Tornado on the board.
- In singles play, the Bulldogs took the bottom three flights, and at No. 5 singles, Alfaro won the first set before playing through injury and eventually falling to Ermanno Galimberti 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 to give Barton the victory.
- When the match ended, Moritz Poswiat was leading in the third set against Julian Bosch at the top flight while Keswani had match point at No. 2 singles over McCartney.
- At the third flight, Lennard Neumann had tied the second set at 5-5 after dropping the first set to Yaxi Pintado.
- King ends the season with an overall record of 7-11, going 5-5 in Conference Carolinas play.