SUMTER, S.C. – The King University men's tennis team opened the season with a good performance at the Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational. Lenny Keswani finished runner-up in the A draw while Lennard Neumann won the A draw consolation bracket to lead the way for the Tornado.
KING RESULTS: No team scores
LOCATION: Palmetto Tennis Center; Sumter, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Keswani won his first four matches, all in straight sets to reach the final of the A draw. He first topped Barton College Ermanno Galimberti 6-4, 6-3 before defeating Jose Cortijos of the University of Mount Olive 7-5, 6-2.
- To reach the finals, he topped Belmont Abbey College's Austin Schepel 7-5, 7-5 before defeating William Greaves of North Greenville University 6-3, 7-5.
- However, in the final, Keswani fell to Mount Olive's Armando Ferreira 6-3, 6-1.
- Neumann dropped his first match of the day before rolling off four straight wins in the consolation bracket, starting with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Jorge Canadas of Emmanuel College.
- He then topped North Greenville's Giacomo Garini 6-0, 6-0 before coming back to top Emmanuel College's 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 15-13.
- In the consolation final, Neumann defeated Barton Jesus Rafael Gil 6-2, 6-0.
- In the B draw, both Arturo Alfaro and Jorge Rojas reached the quarterfinals with a pair of wins.
- Noah Baker had a solid first weekend of his career, taking the consolation title in the D draw.
- He dropped his first match before winning three straight, starting with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Joshua Davis of Emmanuel.
- He then topped Isaiah Cole of Belmont Abbey 6-3, 6-3 before defeated Erskine's Laim Buckley 6-1, 6-2 for the title.
- In doubles play, Alfaro and Keswani cruised their way through the B draw to take the title.
- The tandem started the weekend with an 8-3 win over Sherzod Akramov and Flavio Carretero of Mount Olive before defeating Belmont Abbey's Zachary Blythe and Reinaldo Golindano 8-4.
- In the semifinals, the duo defeated Erskines Buckley and Steven Zahui 8-4 before besting Rafa Gonclaves and Louis Proulx of Chowan University 8-6 for the championship.
- King returns to action on September 25 when they travel to Tusculum College for their first dual of the fall at 2:00 p.m. The Tornado then travel back to Sumter for the ITA Regional on September 29-October 1.